Sunday, August 17, 2014

“Mission Community” (August 17, 2014)



Mission Community” (John 21:15-19)
- Our Core Values V –
Biblical Marks of the Church
How do you define church? For five weeks we have explored what biblical marks of the church are. Firstly, the church gathers to hear the word of God and to respond in worship (Acts 2:11, 42, 47; “Worship Community”). Secondly, the church is made up of the people who confess Jesus as Lord and Savior (Acts 2:38-41; “Gospel Community”). Thirdly, the church is devoted to fellowship (Acts 2:42; “Fellowship Community”). Fourthly, the church is an evangelistic community to be disciples of Jesus (Acts 2:47; “Discipleship Community”). Fifthly, the church is committed to Jesus’ mission (Matt 28:18-20; Acts 2:47; “Mission Community”). These five biblical marks will be the core values of our church. And today, last but not least, we will explore the church as a mission community.

Love and Mission: “Do You Love Me?”  
I believe John 21 would be the best text to show what the mission of the church is. There are three steps to be committed to Jesus’ mission. The first step is to experience God’s love and forgiveness. In today’s scripture Jesus reinstates Peter. As we know, Peter disowned Jesus three times. He was deeply hurt by this experience. Many of us are still suffering from guilt and shame, and we make a decision, "OK, I am unworthy to be his disciple. I will go back to my old life." Peter chose to go back to his old life rather than repent. But today, Jesus comes to Peter, not to forgive him, but to let Peter know that he is already forgiven. God's forgiveness is different from ours. We forgive people when they apologize. But God forgives us even before we repent. The Bible says, “God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” (Rom 5:8) Jesus did already forgive Peter. There is no tension in today's scripture. Jesus tenderly asks his disciples to have any fish. He is truly concerned for them. He prepares breakfast for them. He gives comfort to them and fills their needs first. And when they finish eating, he asks just one question. Jesus does not ask Peter, "Why have you done that?" Instead, he asks, "Do you truly love me as I have loved you?"

Human beings never change by criticism. They change only when they experience true love and forgiveness. One of my turning points in my life happened when I was in 6th grade. At that time, I was strongly addicted to video games. I had to play every single day. I could not control myself. I stole my class' public money. I stole my parents' money to play games. I got into bad company. I often told lies to cover up my wrongdoings. One day several mothers from my class came to see my mother. At that time I was taking a nap in my room. The sound of their conversation woke me up. The parents thought that I was outside. They began to talk about me and reveal the truth how bad I was at school. There was only one compliment, and the rest of them were all criticism. I was so embarrassed and afraid. I pretended to take a nap for a long time. After a while, I went out to the living room. My mother smiled and just said one thing, "My son, today we had visitors from your school. They said that you had many friends and popular at school. I am very proud of you." She shared that one compliment that she had heard. I was deeply moved by her love and forgiveness. From that day I was able to quit playing video games forever. Peter saw Jesus crucified, but it didn’t change him. He saw Jesus raised from the dead, but it didn’t change him. However, when he experienced Jesus’ love and forgiveness in a personal way, he has become a new creation. He became a man of love and forgiveness. If you look at 1 & 2 Peter, "love" is a main theme. Peter says "Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins" (1Pt 4:8). Jesus’ love raises us up and transforms us. The mission of the church starts from the love of Christ. 

Mission From Above: “Feed My Lambs!”
Jesus’ love has a purpose. Not only does it transform us, but also it gives us a reason to live. His love compels us to take care of his lambs .The second step to be committed to Jesus’ mission is to feed Jesus lambs. John 3:16 tells us how much God loved us, and then 1 John 3:16 tells us how much we must love others as God’s beloved children. It says, "Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers." In today’s scripture Jesus asks Peter, "Do you love me?" Peter answers, "Yes, Lord. you know that I love you." Then Jesus says, "Feed my lambs." Jesus reinstates Peter as a fisher of men and shepherd. This mission from above is not just for Peter or pastors. It is our mission and vocation regardless of race, age, gender and social status. Jesus allows us to work, not to make money but to feed his lambs. He gives us new life, not to live for ourselves but to take care of his lost sheep. In Acts Peter became a leader of the early church. He delivered powerful messages and performed miraculous signs. And he turned many people to Christ. But, Peter had never pursued success as a church leader or preacher. His purpose of life was just one thing. It was to feed Jesus’ lambs. That is our mission and the reason to live.

The Holy Spirit and Mission: “Follow Me!”
Jesus’ love transforms us. His love compels us to feed his lambs. But we need one more thing. We need the power of the Holy Spirit. This is the final step to be committed to Jesus’ mission. Peter is surely restored by Jesus’ love, but he is still fragile. When Jesus says to him, "Follow me," Peter turns and sees John, and asks, "Lord, what about him?" Now Peter is a new creation, but still he is weak. He still compares himself with others. He is still jealous. He still hates others. This is a human being. We are a new creation, but we are still fragile. When Jesus prophesied his death, Peter declared, "Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will." Jesus said, "Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later." Peter said, "Lord, why can't I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you." Yes, he said this from the heart. He truly wanted to follow Jesus. He truly wanted to lay down his life for Jesus. But he could not! Why? To have a sincere mind is not enough to follow Jesus. We need the power of the Holy Spirit to follow him. Peter could not follow Jesus even if he really wanted. But when he was filled with the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost, from that moment he was able to follow Jesus.

Today Jesus says to Peter what the life by the Holy Spirit is like. He says, "When you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." Before we are led by the Spirit, we go wherever we want, and we spend time whatever we want. This is the life led by ourselves. But, when we are led by the Spirit, we go where the Spirit leads, and we spend money and energy whatever the Spirit wants. This is the life led by the Spirit. When we truly depend on the Holy Spirit moment-by-moment, we are able to follow Jesus. Ironically, when we are fully bound to the Holy Spirit, we enjoy freedom the most. The most satisfying life is a life led by the Spirit. This is the only way to follow Jesus and do his mission.  

The Three Questions
As I wind up today’s message, I would like to share one story about three missionaries to Turkey. It happened on April 18, 2007. One day five young men came to join worship service at one mission organization. They attended the service for three months. But they were actually Muslim fundamentalists. After three months, they revealed their true colors. They threatened three missionaries and began to torture them to deny Jesus. Nezatie, the local missionary, was stabbed 99 times; Tilman, German missionary, 156 times; and Ur, the other local missionary, countless. But all of them endured the torture for three hours, and no one denied Jesus. Eventually, they were beheaded and died a martyr. Right after this incident, Tilman’s family announced on local TV, and said, “We forgive them because they do not know what they did.” Nezati’s wife said, “He lived for Christ, and died for Christ, so his death is valuable. It was my honor to be his wife. And I will follow his footsteps.” And also, hundreds of Christians who had been hiding, now came out to the square and cried out, “We are all Christians. We are also ready to die a martyr.”

Missionary Jim Elliot said, “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.” Mission is not one of the church programs. It is the nature of the church. Based on today’s scripture, the day will come when Jesus will ask each of us the following three questions: (1) “Did you truly love me?” (2) “Did you feed my lambs?” and (3) “Did you follow me to the end?” Sooner or later we must answer those questions. For me, I know that I will be gone soon like a mist. I know I will not preach on this pulpit forever. But my prayer is that I may follow the footsteps of Jesus, Peter, and the missionaries to Turkey by the power of the Holy Spirit. I want to give my all to Jesus, the King of all the earth, before the Day comes. My prayer is that all of us in this room may know the love of Christ and gladly lay down our lives for him and his people. Let us say without reserve, “Yes, Lord. I love you.” “Yes, Lord. I will feed your lambs.” “Yes, Lord. I will follow you!” Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment