Sunday, July 19, 2015

“The Secret of Being Content” (Exo 20:17; Phil 4:10-20) - The 10 Commandments for Today X –

The Secret of Being Content” (Exo 20:17; Phil 4:10-20)
- The 10 Commandments for Today X –
If Only… 
The other day I had a chance to read one poem written by 14 years old boy, named Jason Lehman. I was very impressed by the depth of his insight. The title of the poem is “Present Tense”:

It was Spring, but it was Summer I wanted:
The warm days and the great outdoors.

It was Summer, but it was Fall I wanted:
The colorful leaves and the cool, dry air.

It was Fall, but it was Winter I wanted:
The beautiful snow and the joy of the holiday season.

It was Winter, but it was Spring I wanted:
The warmth and the blossoming of nature.

I was a child, and it was adulthood I wanted:
The freedom and the respect.

I was 20, but it was 30 I wanted:
To be mature and sophisticated.

I was middle-aged, but it was 20 I wanted:
The youth and the free spirit.

I was retired, but it was middle-aged I wanted:
The presence of mind without limitations.

My life was over,
and I never got what I wanted.

One day a reporter asked the billionaire Nelson Rockefeller, “How much money does it take to be happy?” Rockefeller answered, “Just a little bit more.” Sometimes we say the same thing. “If only I made a little more money.” “If only I had a little bigger place to live.” Oftentimes we are discontented with our situation in life. Singles are discontented with their singleness: “If only I could find someone to marry, it would make all the difference.” Then we get married, and we are discontented with that too. We say, “If only my spouse would do a better job of meeting my needs.”

A “Heart” Commandment
Instead of being content, we covet. Coveting is strictly forbidden by the tenth commandment: “You shall not covet your neighbor's house. You shall not covet your neighbor's wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor” (Ex 20:17). What does it mean to covet? Missionary John Mackay defines the word “coveting” in this way: “a consuming desire to possess in a wrong way something belonging to another.” The tenth commandment goes straight to the heart. It is clearly a “heart” commandment. It focuses not on actions but on attitudes. It speaks not just of what we do, but of what we want to do. One rabbi compared the difference between Judaism and Christianity as follows: “One of the greatest differences between the two religions is this idea that you’ve committed a sin just by desiring or thinking it. We believe you have to actually commit the physical act before it’s really sin. Otherwise, we’d be sinning all the time!” The rabbi was right. This is exactly what the tenth commandment is intended to teach. Martin Luther said, “This last commandment, then, is addressed not to those whom the world considers wicked rogues, but precisely to the most upright – to people who wish to be commended as honest and virtuous, because they have not offended against the preceding commandments.” The tenth commandment convinces us we are sinners. It tells us that we are sinning all the time. And it graciously shows us that we need a Savior.

The Secret of Being Content
Paul was a godly man, at least outwardly, for the first part of his life. He was far ahead of his fellow Jews in his zeal for his ancestral traditions. He thought he could measure up to the perfect standard of God’s law. He did not murder. He did not commit adultery. He did not steal. He did not lie. Not only did he keep the commandments, but also proactively he even persecuted Christians in the name of God. And he thought he was offering service to God. Outwardly he was an outstanding saint. Paul did everything with conviction. But his conviction didn’t give peace, joy, and life to his heart. He was discontented with his spiritual life. One day he was on the way to Damascus to arrest Christians. There he encountered Lord Jesus who came to him as a light. Jesus said, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.” Paul asked, “Who are you, Lord?” And the Lord answered, “I am Jesus whom you are persecuting” (Acts 26:14-15). From that moment the whole world changed. Even though Paul always believed in God, something essential was missing in his life – “Jesus Christ.” But since Jesus came into his heart as Lord, Paul has light in his soul, and floods of joy like sea billows roll.

Paul once was proud of the fact that he obeyed the law without fault. He was proud of his education and background. But since Jesus came into his heart, he considers them worthless because of what Christ has done. In fact, he considers everything as loss, rubbish, dung, compared to the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus the Lord (Phil 3:8). After his conversion, Paul’s nickname was “plague.” When the accusers presented their case against Paul to the governor Felix, they said, “For we have found this man a plague, one who stirs up riots among all the Jews throughout the world and is a ringleader of the sect of the Nazarenes” (Acts 24:5, ESV). Yes, wherever he went, Paul was a contagious Christian. One time in Philippi, Paul and Silas were severely beaten and put into prison after preaching the gospel. But they were not discouraged. The Bible says, “About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God.” They did not pray to be released. They did not pray to God to solve their problems. Their greatest concern was to glorify Christ to the fullest where they were standing, whatever situation they were in. Believe it or not, Paul and Silas were content with their situation. To be more precise, they were rejoicing because they knew they were on God’s side. They were singing praises of joy because Christ was preached. And suddenly, there was such a violent earthquake. At once all the prison doors flew open, and every prisoner’s chains came loose. But Paul and Silas did not escape. They remained in prison because their greatest concern was not to be free but to walk with Christ and preach his holy name. The jailer was amazed and asked, “Sirs, what must I do to be saved?” And Paul answered, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you and your household will be saved” (16:31). Paul found contentment in Christ Jesus. Have you found contentment?

Learning to Be Content
Contentment is not something that comes naturally. We have to learn contentment. Paul learned to be content. He says in Philippians 4:12, “I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want” (NIV). By nature, we are naturally discontent. We do not have contentment from ourselves. Contentment is something we have to learn. We learn contentment in our personal relationship with Christ. As we get to know Christ and have a closer relationship with him, we want more and more what he wants for us rather than what we want for us. We begin to see things from Jesus’ perspective and become content regardless of our circumstances. That’s contentment. Paul says in verse 13, “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” We learn contentment in our relationship with Christ.

Last week I shared the story of Romanian pastor Richard Wurmbrand how he stood up for the truth. This morning I would like to share how he could be content even in prison under the communist regime. He wrote: “In the ensuing years, in several different prisons, they broke four vertebrae in my back, and many other bones. They carved me in a dozen places. They burned and cut eighteen holes in my body… but alone in my cell, cold, hungry, and in rags, I danced for joy every night… I rarely allowed a night to pass without dancing… I made up songs and sang them softly to myself and danced to my own music.” How could it be possible? How could he be content even in that extreme situation? It was possible because through Christ Richard’s eyes were open and able to see things above.

In Luke 10:23 Jesus said to his disciples, “Blessed are the eyes that see what you see.” The disciples had just come back from a tour through Palestine where they had seen horrors. Palestine was an oppressed country under the Roman Empire. During the mission trip the disciples met sickness, plagues, hunger, and sorrow. They entered houses from which patriots had been taken to prison, leaving behind weeping parents or wives. It was not a beautiful world to look upon. But still Jesus said, “Blessed are the eyes that see what you see.” That was because they had not seen only the suffering. They had also seen the Savior. They had seen the blind receive sight, the lame walk, the deaf hear, and the dead are raised in the name of Jesus Christ. When the disciples saw these things above, they were able to be content. Do you see what the disciples see? Have you learned to be content?

In Christ Alone
In his last days Scottish missionary David Livingstone had been “lost” to the outside world. Henry Stanley was sent out to find Livingstone. Finally, he found Livingstone who was suffering from tropical disease in the small village in Zambia. Stanley urged Livingstone to return to England with him. He said, “You’ve dedicated yourself to this mission for 30 years. I think that is enough. So now, why don’t you go back with me and have some rest and see your children?” Livingstone answered, “Thank you, but no. For me the ministry here is not a sacrifice, but a great privilege. Every time I think about this honorable ministry my heart is full.” After Stanley left, Livingstone was thoroughly homesick. In his journal he wrote: “March 19th, 1872. Birthday. Lord, send me anywhere, only go with me. Lay any burden on me, only sustain me. Sever any ties save the tie that binds me to Thy heart. My Jesus, my King, my life, my all, I again dedicate my whole self to Thee.” About a year later he died while kneeling in prayer at his bedside. Livingstone was alone, but he was content because he saw the things of heaven and heard Jesus’ voice. He found contentment in Christ alone. Have you found to be content?

While I was meditating on today’s scriptures, one song stayed in my mind. This song tells us the secret of being content in any circumstances. Jesus is all we need. The more we trust in Jesus, the more we become content. The more we trust in Jesus, we see the things of heaven more clearly. My prayer is that all of us in this room will experience this mystery and say, “I have found contentment in Christ!” Amen.

In Christ alone I place my trust
And find my glory in the power of the cross
In every victory let it be said of me
My source of strength, my source of hope

Is Christ alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment