Sunday, June 26, 2016

“Three Ways of Life” (Ruth 1:1-5, 15-22) - Book of Ruth I -


Finding Jesus in the Wilderness
When did you meet Jesus? How did you meet Jesus personally? Here’s how I met Jesus: I grew up as a pastor’s kid. I grew up in the home of a pastor. My mother made a vow to God like Hannah did even before I was born. She gave her son (me) to the Lord for an entire lifetime without asking me. I learned how to behave at church at an early age. I received Christ into my heart at least once a year through the Bible camp, VBS, and different special services. I repeated a sinner’s prayer after my Sunday School teachers numerous times. But still I didn’t know Jesus personally. I didn’t know how to live with Jesus daily. I am not saying all those experiences were meaningless. As I look back, each of those experiences was like a stepping stone. It led me to Christ. But for a long time I didn’t have my spiritual turning point, so called “conversion experience.” Always I felt like something was missing. I felt miserable. My spiritual dissatisfaction had reached an extreme when I was a freshman in college. I kept asking important questions of life: ‘Who am I? Where am I? Where did I come from? Where am I going? Does my life have meaning? Is there a purpose?’ I didn’t have an answer. I really wanted to live a good and satisfying life, but the reality was the opposite. I was stuck with chronic sins. I was stuck with a bunch of unsolvable problems of life. My escape from all this was to join the army. Life in the army was life in the wilderness. It was barren, rough, and lonely. But later I realized that the wilderness is a perfect place to meet Jesus personally. I met Jesus there. I was so poor in spirit. I was thirsty in spirit. Every night after my night-watch duty, I ran to the restroom, carrying my Bible, because that was the only place that had light. I read the Psalms. I prayed the Psalms. For the first time I heard what Jesus spoke to me through the Bible. His Word was living and active indeed. His Word wiped my tears, encouraged me, sustained me, disturbed me, rebuked me, and convicted me. His Word began to shape me and change me. I did meet Jesus face to face in the wilderness of the army.

Three Choices, Three Ways of Life
In today’s passage we meet three women – Naomi, Orpah, and Ruth. They have different backgrounds. Their ages, their races, and their characters are all different. But they have one thing in common. All three of them are in the midst of pain and suffering. They all lost their beloved husbands unexpectedly. After this, like it or not, now they must make decisions. In this story we see three choices and three ways of life. We see three faiths and three futures.[1] I got this insight from Pastor Roy Laurin, who was a mentor of Billy Graham. I give credit to him for that.

The first woman, Naomi, makes her decision to go back to her hometown Bethlehem. In the past there was a famine in Bethlehem. So Naomi and her husband with their two sons decided to move to Moab for the time being. But temporary became permanent. They stayed there for ten years. In a spiritual sense, to live in Moab means to live out of the land of the covenant. Probably you remember, when David escaped to the land of Moab from King Saul, God sent the prophet Gad, saying, “Do not stay in the stronghold in the land of Moab. Go back to the land of Judah” (1 Sam 22:5). God wanted David to live within the land of the covenant even in the midst of suffering. So David went back to Judah. Spiritually, Naomi was a backslider. She and her husband had chosen the land of alien gods. They had followed the course of this world. But now Naomi realizes the mistake and is coming back to God. Many of us grew up in church. Oftentimes we feel like faith life in God seems too static and boring. So we go to Moab, greener pastures of life. Have you been there? In Moab we realize life is better in a land of famine with God than in a land of plenty without him. In Psalm 84 the psalmist says, “Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked” (10). By God’s grace, Naomi realized this, and now she is coming back to God.

The second woman, Orpah, makes her decision to stay in Moab. We don’t know the details why she decided to stay. But we do know she missed a great opportunity to be incorporated into God’s family. After verse 14, her name is never mentioned again. She becomes lost from our view forever. Orpah’s choice becomes her destiny. At first, in verse 10 she was willing to follow and go back with Naomi. She loved Naomi. She learned from Naomi. She was challenged by Naomi’s faith and lifestyle. But unfortunately, as a Moabite, Orpah finally chooses to stay with her own people and her own gods. She chooses to stay where she is rather than to go on to Israel, to Naomi’s living God, to eternal life.

The third woman, Ruth, makes her decision to go on. Both Orpah and Ruth are Moabite women. They both lost her husbands. They both are now in pain and suffering. But they choose totally different paths of life. Orpah chooses to stay; Ruth chooses to go on. In pain Orpah chooses to be comforted by her own people and her own gods; Ruth chooses a new faith and meets God personally. It becomes the turning point of Ruth’s life. The story of Orpah and Ruth reminds us of the story of two other women – Peninnah and Hannah. Hannah was a woman who was deeply troubled. She got married to a good man, Elkanah. She had a happy marriage. But, she faced a serious problem. It turned out she was barren. This brought difficult times to the family. But, the Bible says it was God who closed her womb (1 Sam 1:5-6). In other words, God allowed this trial with a purpose. When God allows trials and tribulations in our lives, there is a clear message in it. The message is, “Come to me. Seek my face. Cry out to me!” Our pain and suffering are like the loudspeaker of God who is calling us. But it is our choice whether we respond to his calling. We may choose to stay where we are. Or we may choose to come and find God deeply. Peninnah and Hannah responded in different ways. Peninnah was also Elkanah’s wife. She had children, but for some reason, she was not much loved by her husband. She was deeply troubled by that. When she faced this problem, she didn’t come to the Lord. Instead, she chose to provoke Hannah in order to irritate her. She chose to hurt Hannah. So, Hannah was greatly disturbed and wounded. When she was greatly troubled, she did one thing. She chose to come to the Lord and pour out her heart before him. And in this hour Hannah was born again. Her prayer was answered, and she met God personally. In the same way, in pain and suffering Ruth chooses to go on and she changes forever.

Meet Jesus Personally
Have you met Jesus? How do we know we met Jesus personally? When we meet Jesus personally, we cannot be the same. We cannot stay where we are. When we meet Jesus personally, he begins to shape and change every area of our lives. As I close, I would like to share a story of one man who met Jesus and was transformed. Josh McDowell was sick and tired of religion, particularly Christianity. But in college he met one group of Christian students. Through them, he became a Christian. Once he met Jesus personally, his life was changed especially over a period of six to eighteen months. And the most significant change was to forgive two individuals who had damaged him as a child. The first person was his father, who was a well-known abusive alcoholic in town. He hated his father. When Josh accepted Christ as his Savior, a powerful love consumed his life. It affected his feelings for his father. He visited his dad and said, “Dad, I love you.” A short time later, his dad visited him and said, “Son, how can you love a father like me?” Josh answered, “Dad, six months ago I despised you.” He shared how he met Jesus personally. He also shared how Jesus changed him and has taken away his hatred. After they talked for almost an hour, Josh’s dad said, “Son, if God can do in my life what I’ve seen Him do in yours, then I want to trust Him as my Savior and Lord.” And his dad became a Christian. There was another person Josh needed to forgive. Between six and thirteen years old, he was sexually abused by a man hired to cook and clean on their farm. When Josh became a new believer, he knew he had to forgive that man who had scarred him deeply. So Josh went to see the man and said, “Wayne, what you did to me was evil, but I‘ve trusted Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. I believe that Jesus died as much for you as He did for me, so I forgive you.” After this Josh admitted in this way: “I had no warm emotions. I simply said the words in faith because I knew it would please my Heavenly Father. Faith carried me through both experiences of forgiving my father and Wayne. Through it all, I had the haunting conviction that the Bible was true and I could trust Jesus to give me victory.”[2]

Some of us in this room have had sorrow. Some of us are walking through pain and suffering right now. And some will face trials and tribulations in the future. But remember this: God so loves us. He drives us out into the wilderness, so that we may meet him personally there. The choice is ours. Indeed, now is the "right time"! Now is the "day of salvation”! Let us meet Jesus and live! Amen.



[1] Roy L. Laurin, Designed for Conquest: Biblical Models for Overcoming Life’s Struggles (Kregel, 1990), 64-66.
[2] Josh McDowell, “Evidence of a Changed Life,” http://www.precious-testimonies.com/Hope_Encouragement/k-o/McDowellJ.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment