Sunday, January 28, 2018

“One Body, Many Parts” (Romans 12:3-8) - Romans for Everyone XX -


Leaving Church
Episcopal priest Barbara Brown Taylor was one of America’s most effective and beloved preachers. But after much reflection, she decided to end her 20-year career and leave the church. She said, “I had been wearing my collar for about six months by then, and I wore it like a string of thousand-dollar pearls. Fifteen years later, I was ready to hang it up.”[1] Now Taylor teaches at a college in Georgia. And she says that teaching school is saving her life now. I have sympathy with what Taylor said. Taylor is just one of many who want Jesus but not His body, the Church. Researcher George Barna describes this trend in our society as follows: “We found that while some people leave the local church and fall away from God altogether, there is a much larger segment of Americans who are currently leaving churches precisely because they want more of God in their life but cannot get what they need from a local church.”[2] Even today many people are leaving the church out of frustration. I don’t know about you, but for me, there were times when I wanted to leave the church. In 2007 I began my first internship as a student pastor. But guess what? After about 6 months, I was burnt out. I was disappointed, frustrated, and even angry. And I left the church. And for about next six months, I visited different churches, fastest-growing churches in greater Boston area. Music was good, sermons were excellent, people were kind and welcoming. But still, I felt something was missing. During that time, God graciously allowed me to wander around and struggle with what it means to be the church. After that, God restored my soul and drew me to one local church, with which I fell in love. And up to this day, I stay in love with the church no matter what. I do love the church, and I will always love the church! And now let me explain why I love the church so much.

One Body “In Christ”
The first reason is because I see Jesus, I experience the fullness of Christ, “in the church.” The church is the body of Christ. In 1 Corinthians 12:27, Paul says, “Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it.” Paul also says in today’s passage, verse 5, “So we, though many, are one body in Christ.” How is it possible to become one body between native Mainers and native Koreans? But in Christ it is possible. And that is amazing! There are times when I wonder if it would be really possible for me to become one with certain Christians. Every time that thought comes to my mind, I recite Galatians 3:28: “There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is no male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.” In those days Jews and Gentiles didn’t associate with each other, women were despised, and slaves had no rights. The conflicts and differences between them did run so deep. It was almost impossible to be reconciled. But in the Book of Acts we know that they did become one body in Christ.

This little phrase, “in Christ” is tremendously important. The expressions “in Christ,” “in the Lord,” and “in him” occur 164 times in the letters of Paul alone. So what does it mean to be in Christ? It means to be organically united to Christ, as a limb is in the body or a branch is in the tree. Jesus says in John 15:4, “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me (John 15:4). This personal relationship with Christ, this personal lordship of Christ, brings unity. In Christ the unity of the church is created. When we are baptized into Christ, we are united to Christ. We die with Christ and rise with Christ. We become one, not only with Christ personally, but also with his community, his household, his body, the Church, collectively. We become one with Christ, one with each other. The unity of the church is possible only when we as a church are devoted and loyal together to Christ alone, not to opinions, to an organization, to human tradition. Bishop Stephen Neil rightly said, “In the fellowship of those who are bound together by personal loyalty to Jesus Christ, the relationship of love reaches an intimacy and intensity unknown elsewhere. Friendship between the friends of Jesus of Nazareth is unlike any other friendship, and this ought to be the normal experience within the Church. Where it is experienced, especially across the barriers of race, nationality and language, it is one of the most convincing evidences of the continuing activity of Jesus among men.”[3] May this fellowship, friendship, love and unity be the normal experience within our church! May the Lord Jesus Christ have the final say about everything in the life of our church!

Many Parts
That’s the first reason I love the church. I see Jesus. I experience the fullness of Christ – fellowship, friendship, and unity – in the church. It’s one body in Christ. The second reason I love the church is because it’s the family of God. In verse 5, Paul says, “So we, though many, are one body in Christ, and individually members one of another.” In other words, we all belong to each other. We need each other. During the Alpha Course, I heard about one young man who was really struggling. He had come to faith in Christ, but he just found himself drifting away, drifting in doubts and difficulties and losing his faith. And he went to see a wise older man, who lived in a cottage, and there was a fire, a coal fire. And as they were discussing — this young man told this older man about what was going on in his life — the older man didn’t say anything. But he just went to the fire and he took a red-hot coal, with tongs, out of the fire, and he put it on the hearth. And as the young man talked, he just allowed that coal to go from red-hot to black, dark. And then he got the tongs again and he put the coal back in the fire, and within a few minutes the coal was red-hot again. He didn’t need to say anything. The young man left knowing exactly why his faith had gone dull.[4]

In The Screwtape Letters, C. S. Lewis says that if the devil wants to distract, discourage, and alienate a new Christian from his newfound faith in Jesus, the best way to do so is by tempting the new Christian to grow cynical toward his local church. Being a Christian, being a part of the church, can sometimes feel like being in a dysfunctional family with a thousand drunk uncles.[5] But like it or not, uncles are family. We don’t get to choose our family. Our family is chosen for us. We don’t look for new family even when we don’t like our family. Instead, we do our best to make it better and healthier. In the same way, we didn’t choose one another, but we have been given to each other by our heavenly Father. We are the family of God. We are sisters and brothers in Christ. By nature, we love to get together with the people like us. But the church is the classroom for learning how to get along with “natural enemies” who are different from us, who are difficult and unlovable, in God’s family. By doing this, our heavenly Father gets glory.

Be a Member!
The third reason I love the church is because the church helps to make us more like Christ. In particular, as we use our gifts, our true identity is found, and we are sanctified in the body of Christ. In verse 6 Paul says, “Let us use them [our gifts].” Here he is saying, “Let us be a functioning member in the body of Christ.” I shared earlier, I was wandering around different churches for 6 months. Even though I attended my favorites churches, I felt empty, something was missing. And now as I look back, I know why. Because I was just a consumer and attender, not a functioning member of the church. So I commend all of us to get involved. Don’t just be a consumer, but be a contributor. Don’t just be an attender at church; be a member!

Our Lord Jesus wants all of us to use our gifts and serve in his body, not only because there’s work to be done but also because that sanctifies us, makes us more like Christ Himself! There were times when I felt God was nudging me to do street evangelism. So every Friday for more than a year I went over to Harvard Avenue in Boston area, where I could meet all kinds of people. But my efforts at street evangelism have yielded little fruit. As far as I know, only one person came to church. But the street evangelism changed me, sanctified me, gave me the inner assurance that I was called to ministry. Serving draws us closer to Christ and makes us more like Him. As we use our gifts and serve others, let us have the mindset that Paul exhorts us in verses 6-8:

Let's just go ahead and be what we were made to be, without enviously or pridefully comparing ourselves with each other, or trying to be something we aren't. If you preach, just preach God's Message, nothing else; if you help, just help, don't take over; if you teach, stick to your teaching; if you give encouraging guidance, be careful that you don't get bossy; if you're put in charge, don't manipulate; if you're called to give aid to people in distress, keep your eyes open and be quick to respond; if you work with the disadvantaged, don't let yourself get irritated with them or depressed by them. Keep a smile on your face!” [MSG]

What is your gift? What kind of ministry is satisfying and attractive to you? That might be your gift. What problems do you most notice? That might be your gift. Use it! Do it! As we use our gifts humbly, generously, joyfully, we glorify Christ and build up His body.

We give thanks for all that God has already given us.
As members of the body of Christ, 
and in this congregation,
we will faithfully participate 
in the ministries of the Church
by our prayers, our presence, our gifts, our service, 
and our witness,
that in everything God may be glorified 
through Jesus Christ, Amen.




[1] Barbara Brown TaylorLeaving Church (HarperCollins, 2012), 114.
[2] Scott Sauls, Jesus Outside the Lines: A Way Forward for Those Who Are Tired of Taking Sides (Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., 2015), 42.
[3] John Stott, “In Christ: The Meaning and Implications of the Gospel of Jesus Christ,” http://www.cslewisinstitute.org/In_Christ_FullArticle
[4] Alpha Course, “What About the Church?”
[5] Scott Sauls, 50.  



No comments:

Post a Comment