Sunday, July 1, 2018

“Bring Life” (Mark 5:25-34) - Healing Hands I –


12 Years a Slave 
12 years is a long time. There is a film, based on a true story, titled “12 Years a Slave.” It is a story about a free African-American, Solomon Northup, who was kidnapped in Washington D.C. in 1841 and sold into slavery. He was put to work on plantations in the state of Louisiana for 12 years before being released. For Solomon, I am sure those 12 years in slavery must have been painfully long, like a thousand years.

In today’s scripture, we meet a woman who has been suffering from chronic, constant bleeding for 12 years. At that time, those who had that kind of disease were considered as ritually unclean (cf. Lev 15:25-33). They were discharged from their community. So, for 12 years, this woman suffered greatly. Not only did she suffer physically, but also she suffered socially, and psychologically. She was treated like a leper. She was basically excluded from all normal social relations. The stigma of loser, like the scarlet letter, always followed her wherever she went. She had already used every possible means to be healed and remove that stigma. But it didn’t work, but only got worse. She was desperate. But then, one day she heard about Jesus. When Jesus was passing by, she slipped in from behind and touched his robe, believing, “If I can just touch his robe, I can get well.” And she did!

My Journey to Healing
Later, Jesus called the woman and said to her, “Daughter, your faith has healed you.” Here the literal translation of the Hebrew text is like this: “Your faith has saved you.” In many cases, Jesus’ healing is much more than just physical. He calls the woman, “Daughter.” He restores her as his beloved child. Before, her name was wounded, outcast, lonely, afraid. But now, her new name is beloved, daughter, friend of God. Jesus changes our name. He gives us new identity. His healing leads us to wholeness, friendship and salvation. His healing brings us to himself.

For me personally, I see myself in this woman. I grew up in pastor’s family. I got so used to the church thing and God. But I didn’t know Jesus. I did believe there is God. But I was not sure whether I had any personal relationship with him. But when I was in the army, I was sent to East Timor as the UN Peace Keeping Forces. There I fell ill with an endemic disease, called, “Dengue Fever.” I got delirious, and my whole body was covered with a rash. I was in a critical condition. I was desperate. I knelt down and prayed, “God, if you save my life, I will humbly live for you for life.” Then, I felt asleep. And when I got up early next morning, I realized I was healed completely. Then I had strong desire to know more about Jesus. That healing did bring me to Christ. For the first time, I read the Bible cover to cover. That’s how my journey to healing began.

Even though I was physically healed, I was still suffering from the illness of the mind, a sense of failure – “I am not good enough.” You see my grandfather was a great pastor. God used him in mighty ways. But I was not like him. I always fell short of people’s expectations. In particular, I fell short of my father’s expectations. For more than 12 years, I had prayed for the gift of speaking in tongues, which was very common among Korean churches. I had prayed for God’s anointing. But nothing seemed to happen to me. I felt like God didn’t care for me. I felt abandoned. In 2008 my wife and I attended prayer conference. One night after service, there was a time of prayer. The speaker and some other leaders were praying for those who came forward. For some prayer of healing, and for others prophetic prayer. I didn’t say anything to the person praying for me. But the very first word of the prayer was this, “My son, I already anointed you. And you already have the gift of speaking in tongues.” I began to speak in tongues. Then I realized whether I speak in tongues or not does not really matter. What matters most is God knows me inside and out. He loves me. That night God healed my wounded heart. And he still heals me and everyone who believes today.

Touch and Be Touched
In today’s passage Jesus was willing to be touched and to “defile” himself for her sake, so that she might become “clean” and “whole.” The Bible says, “He took our illnesses and bore our diseases” (Matt 8:17). He was wounded and crushed for our sins. He was beaten, so we could be whole. He was whipped, so we could be healed. Love is costly. Jesus said to the woman, “Go in peace, and be healed of your disease.” This is not simply a word of dismissal. Here he was saying, “Daughter, I will take up your wounds, your weaknesses, your diseases. I will take away your sins and die in your place, so that you may be healed, set free, and live the abundant life in me.”

What we need is faith – faith that only Jesus can change me, heal me, and make me whole. The woman was reluctant at first, but later, she was willing to come forward and tell Jesus and everyone that she needed healing (33). How about you? Are you willing to confess that you need healing? This morning you are invited to come forward to the altar rail and touch the robe of Jesus. [Our prayer team and myself will pray for you with anointing.]

One more thing. I want to draw your attention to the importance of intercession – praying for your beloved ones. Today’s story is sandwiched between the story of Jairus. He came to plead with Jesus for his 12-year old daughter. And she was raised from the dead, because of her father’s faith. On another occasion a paralytic was carried by four men – probably his close friends or family. When they could not get in, they removed the roof above Jesus. And when Jesus saw their faith, he healed the man. So this morning we are also invited to come forward not only as a person who needs healing, but also as an intercessor. Now come and be healed!

No comments:

Post a Comment