Sunday, November 18, 2018

“Giving Thanks Always… but How?” (Ephesians 5:15-21)



100 People
If we could shrink the earth’s population to a village of 100 people, what would it look like? It would look something like the following:[1]
  • 31 Christians, 23 Muslims, 16 people who would not be aligned with a religion, 15 Hindus, 7 Buddhists, 8 people who practice other religions
  • 86 would be able to read and write; 14 would not 
  • 40 would have an Internet connection
  • 78 people would have a place to shelter them from the wind and the rain, but 22 would not 
  • 91 would have access to safe drinking water; 9 would not
So if you are able to read and write, and have an internet connection, and have a place to live and access to clean drinking water, you would probably be in the top 10%. But too often we don’t feel like we are privileged. Too often we don’t feel like we have that much to be thankful for. But in today’s scripture the Apostle Paul says, “Give thanks always and for everything” (20). The question is, “How can we give thanks always and for everything? Is it really possible?”

Who Am I?
The answer is YES, because of two reasons. First, we can give thanks always and for everything because of who we are in Christ. Paul says in verse 8, “For once you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light.” Christians are those who are delivered from darkness and transferred into light (cf. Isa 9:2; Col 1:13; Acts 26:17-18). The Bible says that we were (completely!) dead in our sins. We used to follow the ways of this world and refuse to obey God. We used to follow the passionate desires and inclinations of our sinful nature. We used to live without power, without hope, and without God. But in his great mercy God took the initiative. He first reached out to us, called us, and embraced us. He took our sin and made us alive in Christ. God did all this on his own, with no help from us! Christianity is not about self-help. It is not about self-improvement. Some people think if they stopped doing one or two bad things, and took up two or three good others, then they would become good Christians. Some think if they became a little bit better than now, then they would become good Christians. But that’s not Christianity. Christianity is all about “born-again.” It is all about new life in Christ.

In Jesus’ time there was a group of people who were claiming to be righteous in their own opinion. They were called the Pharisees. On one occasion Jesus healed a man born blind. It happened to be a Sabbath day when Jesus opened his eyes. That really bothered the Pharisees. And they grumbled, “This man Jesus is not from God because he does not keep the Sabbath.” So they interrogated and threatened the man healed to renounce Jesus. But as he kept explaining what happened to him, the eyes of his heart were increasingly open. At first, the man said to the Pharisees, “The man called Jesus opened my eyes” (John 9:11). Then later, he said, “He is a prophet” (17). Then he said to Jesus at the end, “Lord, I believe!” and he worshipped Jesus (38). And Jesus said to the man, “I entered this world to render judgment – to give sight to the blind and to show those who think they see that they are blind” (39). The Pharisees overheard this and grumbled, “Surely we are not blind, are we?” Jesus said to them, “If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.”

Christians are those who once were blind, but whose eyes now are wide open! This statement exactly describes who I am. I always grew up in the church as a pastor’s kid. On the outside I was a good kid, a good student, a good man. But on the inside were full of 3 D’s: Doubt, Darkness, Despair. That was me. In particular, in my early college years I was constantly wandering and searching. Though I studied hard, worked hard, deep inside I always felt like something was missing, I was restless, I was thirsty. I tried to avoid a time for reflection or quietness, because that did reveal my inner emptiness – a hole inside of me. So I kept myself busy. I studied. I worked. I travelled. I dated. I joined the military to run away from God’s presence. But God even was there. Actually, he was waiting for me, opening his arms to his disobedient son all day long. I fell ill with an endemic disease, “Dengue Fever” in East Timor and was going through the valley of the shadow of death. But then I was miraculously healed. Since then, particularly for the next three years God spoke to me, shaped me, molded me, gave me a new heart. Finally, I had a feeling of coming home – a sense of forgiveness and reconciliation with God, with others, with myself; a sense of purpose, direction and goal; a sense of wholeness. And a sense of restlessness and hopelessness were gone! God gave me new 3 D’s: Dawn. Deliverance. Delight. He put a new song in my heart. So I am eternally grateful.

Jesus said, “Whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life” (John 5:24). If we really have passed from death to life, turned from darkness to light, from the power of Satan to God because of Jesus, how can we remain silent? We will rejoice and exult in him. Yes, we can give thanks always for everything when we know who we are in Christ.

Who Is God?
Second, we can also give thanks always when we know who God is. The Bible says God made heaven and earth. God made you and me. Because he made us, God loves us. God cares for us. Jesus said, “And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?... Surely your heavenly Father already knows all your needs” (Mt 6:30, NLT). The Bible says, “He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?” (Rm 8:32)  

We are ungrateful because we don’t know God. We worry, we fear, we sin because we don’t know God. The Prophet Hosea cried out to Israel, “Let us know; let us press on to know the LORD!” (Hs 6:3) That’s the answer to all questions. When we know God, we trust in him and we can give thanks to him no matter what. I think the story of Pastor Sohn Yang Won can be a good example. After Korea was liberated from Japan, Korean peninsula was very unstable because of ideological differences. For several weeks Pastor Sohn’s town was occupied by the communists’ rebels. The rebels arrested Christians, including Pastor Sohn’s two older sons at their college and killed them. At his sons funeral he shared “9 things to be thankful for”:[2]
  1.  My God, I thank You, for having allowed martyrs to be born in the family of sinners such as mine.
  2. My Lord, I thank You for having entrusted me, out of countless believers, with such precious treasures.
  3. Among my three sons and three daughters, I thank You for my blessings through which I could offer You my two most beautiful children, my oldest and second oldest sons.
  4. I thank You for the martyrdom for two of my children, when the martyrdom of one child in itself is much more precious than I could bear.
  5. I thank You for the martyrdom of my sons who were shot to death while they were preaching the gospel, when dying peacefully on his deathbed in itself is a tremendous blessing for a believer.
  6. I thank You for my heart is at peace as my sons, who had been preparing to go and study in America, are now in a place that is much better than America.
  7. God, I thank You for giving me a heart of love for repentance of the enemy who murdered my sons and compelling me to adopt him as my own son.
  8. My Father God, I thank you for there will now be countless more sons of heaven through the fruit of the martyrdom of my sons.
  9. I thank and thank Our Lord Jesus Christ, who has given me these eight truths in times of such adversity, the joyful heart seeking faith and love, and the faith that provides me with composure.
Today there is Pastor Sohn Memorial in his town. There we see his Bible, hymnal book, sermon notes, and so on. And there is an old white offering envelope that says, “Thank-offering: 10,000 won” (which is almost equivalent to his 10 year’s salary). Pastor Sohn made this thank-offering on the first Sunday after his sons funeral. When we know who God is, and because of who God is, we can give thanks to him always even in times of trouble.

Open My Eyes Lord!
Paul’s exhortation, “Give thanks always for everything” is available to everyone. But before this exhortation, Paul first prays for the Ephesian Christians that the eyes of their heart may be opened and enlightened (cf. 1:18). We need the same prayer: “Lord, open my eyes that I may see you who died for me. Lord, open my eyes that I may see you who rose again. Lord, open my eyes that I may see you who are now sitting at the right hand of the Father!” I love how Charles Spurgeon shares his spiritual eye-opening experience:[3]

Oh! I looked until I could almost have looked my eyes away. There and then the cloud was gone, the darkness had rolled away, and that moment I saw the sun; and I could have risen that instant, and sung with the most enthusiastic of them, of the precious blood of Christ, and the simple faith which looks alone to Him!

Friends in Christ, God can make his light penetrate and turn the darkness of your own life into the brightest day, if you will let him. So look to Jesus, not to yourself, not to your pains. Look to Jesus, and you will live. Look to Jesus, and you will eternally give thanks to him and praise his name for ever and ever! Amen.




[1] “100 People: A World Portrait,” https://www.100people.org/statistics_100stats.php?section=statistics
[2] Sohn Yang Won, “Love Your Enemies,” https://thelittlelightofmine.wordpress.com/tag/sohn-yang-won/
[3] From Spurgeon’s Autobiography, “The Great Change- Conversion” http://www.romans45.org/spurgeon/misc/abio011.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment