Sunday, March 24, 2019

“Presence: One Person at a Time” (Hebrews 10:19-25) - Making Membership Meaningful III -


Leaving Church
Have you ever felt like you worked so hard on yourself, and it was still never enough? Barbara Brown Taylor, Episcopal priest and writer, once shared her own experience right before leaving her parish ministry in this way: “My tiredness was so deep that it had seeped into my bones. I was out more nights than I was home. No matter how many new day planners I bought, none of them told me when I had done enough. If I spent enough time at the nursing home then I neglected to return telephone calls, and if I put enough thought into the vestry meeting then I was less likely to catch mistakes in the Sunday bulletin.”[1] You may not have had the exact same experience, but somehow you would have felt a similar way. For me personally, what Barbara said does resonate with what I felt this past week. I was busy with many different things from morning till night. But when I got to the end of the day and it was a blur. I thought, “I did a lot today, but what did I do?” And there even were moments when I felt overwhelmed and was not sure where to start, what to start with. But today’s scripture revived my soul and gave me new desire, new strength to stay the course. Are you tired? Worn out? My prayer is that the God of encouragement and endurance may fill you with new hope by the power of his living Word today! 

Meet the Three-Mile-an-Hour Jesus
In fact, the background of the Book of Hebrews have something in common with ours. At that time the early church was in danger of declining, backsliding and falling apart because of severe persecution and the trials of life. Our church today too is facing trying times within and without: the church is aging, our faithful saints are passing away, the church is not replenished with younger generation, but rather it is divided over different issues. So the church is struggling. More and more people are leaving the church. So in this time of trouble where do we find hope? Today’s passage is a call to persevere. In fact, the entire of the Book of Hebrews is filled with the Word of encouragement from God. The author says, “My friends, hope in God, because we have such a great high priest, Christ Jesus… let us hold fast to the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who has promised is faithful” (19-23). 

So who is this high priest Jesus in whom we can put our hope? I like the way Kosuke Koyama, a Japanese theologian, put it. He says, “Jesus is our 3 mile-an-hour Savior.” Then he continues,
“Love has its speed. It is an inner speed. It is a spiritual speed. It is a different kind of speed from the technological speed to which we are accustomed. It goes on in the depth of our life… at three miles an hour. It is the speed we walk and therefore it is the speed the love of God walks.”[2]

While Jesus was here on earth, he always walked at 3 miles an hour. Jesus walked “slowly” because he was love. He slowed down enough to see all people – one person at a time. Jesus walked 3 miles an hour to see Samaritan woman – her pain and brokenness. Jesus walked 3 miles an hour to allow one woman suffering from a hemorrhage of blood for 12 years to touch him and be healed. Jesus walked 3 miles an hour to see Zacchaeus – his loneliness and thirst. Jesus was never in a hurry, but he was able to say on the cross: “It is finished!” (“It’s done… complete!” Jn 19:30, MSG) The ministry of Jesus was the ministry of presence. Still today, he walks at 3 miles an hour – at the speed of love. He walks with us. And he sees us. He sees our pain and fear. He hears our cry. He knows our name. We have such a high priest! So let us walk with him!

Walk at Three Miles an Hour
When we slow down and walk with Jesus, we begin to see his work – his ministry of presence – in the world. When we walk with Jesus, we begin to see how we may join him in his work. And we begin to see the people around us – one person at a time. Recently, I have learned a valuable lesson from my trip. Just before I went to my conference down in Princeton, NJ, our church started a new small group, called “Emmaus,” especially designed for new Christians and inquirers. I had been praying and preparing for that particular group for a long time and prayerfully and personally invited several candidates. And I was hoping we might have a good-sized group. But when we had a first welcome evening, only four people showed up. Out of four members, only one person was considered a new inquirer. To be honest, I was a little bit disappointed. Then, I went to Princeton, NJ to attend the conference. On my way back home my flight (Newark Liberty to Presque Isle) was almost canceled because there were not enough passengers – only seven on board. Thankfully it was not cancelled. But when I saw a pilot, I got nervous, because he looked so young and inexperienced. He seemed to just graduate from pilot school. I was also concerned if he valued my life lightly because there were only seven people on board. But, contrary to my concerns, he was very thorough, careful, skillful, professional and kind. After the flight landed safely and smoothly, I heard the Inner Voice saying, “Victor, I want you to value one soul highly and start with one person. Know him by name. Eat and drink with him. Listen to his story and tell your own. Walk with him. Walk the journey together – one person at a time.”

Once, Henri Nouwen had the opportunity to meet Mother Teresa. At that time he was struggling and overwhelmed with all kinds of social issues. As soon as they sat down, Henri Nouwen started explaining all his problems and difficulties—trying to convince her of how complicated it all was. After ten minutes of elaborate explanation, Mother Teresa looked at him quietly and said, “Well, when you spend one hour a day adoring your Lord and never do anything which you know is wrong . . . you will be fine!”[3] Here Mother Teresa was saying, “Hold fast to God and be faithful to your calling.” On another occasion she said, “I never look at the masses as my responsibility; I look at the individual. I can only love one person at a time - just one, one, one. So you begin. I began - I picked up one person. Maybe if I didn't pick up that one person, I wouldn't have picked up forty-two thousand....The same thing goes for you, the same thing in your family, the same thing in your church, your community. Just begin - one, one, one.”

One Person at a Time
That’s exactly what Jesus did. Jesus started with one person. He walked at three miles an hour and saw Peter and called him, then Andrew, then James, then John – one person at a time. Jesus’ ministry was done within a radius of 100 miles. And his main mission field was Nazareth, a rural area, middle of nowhere. But his ministry to a particular people and place, as Brad Roth points out, was in fact a ministry to the world. Later, when his disciples went out to preach the gospel to the ends of the earth, Jesus came to be fully present through them among every tribe and tongue.[4] So here is the word of encouragement: our ministry to Houlton, this particular corner of the world is in fact a ministry to the world.

We are all called to the ministry of presence. Basically, everything we do “with love” is the ministry of presence. [list] If we slow down and walk at three miles an hour, we will see people who feel shut out from God’s presence. We will see people who feel they have no access to healing, hope, or new life. If we slow down and walk at three miles an hour with the three-mile-an-hour Jesus, we will experience that Christ will be fully present and extent his healing and salvation through us to those in need. So let us walk with Jesus and walk with those in need. “Let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near” (24-25, ESV). Amen.




[1] Barbara Brown Taylor, Leaving Church: A Memoir of Faith (HarperCollins, 2006), 98.
[2] Kosuke Koyama, “Three Mile an Hour God,” in Three Mile an Hour God: Biblical Reflections (Orbis, 1979), 6-7.
[3] Henri J. M. Nouwen, Here and Now: Living in the Spirit (The Crossroad Publishing Company, 1994), 102.
[4] Brad Roth, God's Country: Faith, Hope, and the Future of the Rural Church (Herald Press, 2017), Kindle Locations 997-999.

No comments:

Post a Comment