Sunday, July 7, 2019

“Into the Wilderness” (Deuteronomy 2:7) - Roadmap to Renewal I –



Why Deuteronomy?
I have visited my family in Korea after nine years. One of the highlights was to visit my grandfather. Now he is 94 years old and has become more and more forgetful. The day when we visited him was my mother’s birthday (that is, his daughter’s birthday). But now he didn’t remember his own daughter’s birthday. But I was impressed because he did still remember what God had done for him as he was planting a new church. He did still remember how God healed him from a fatal disease. And at the end of our conversation he said, “Always give yourself fully to God’s work. Always be devoted to prayer. Always hold fast to God’s word.” Similarly, John Newton once wrote at age 82 in this way: “My memory is nearly gone, but I remember two things: that I am a great sinner, and that Christ is a great Savior.”

That’s what Moses does here in the book of Deuteronomy. Deuteronomy means “second law” or “repetition of the law.” The Israelites had been nomadic for 40 years, and now they were about to enter the Promised Land. The older generation already passed away. So Moses wanted the younger (second) generation to remember the things that were really important. Moses knew that he would not enter the land with them. And he knew that the people would face new challenges along the way. As their spiritual leader and father, Moses was now delivering his farewell speech. That’s the book of Deuteronomy.

I believe Deuteronomy is a very timely message for us today as we as a church endeavor to move forward and as we face challenges within and without. My prayer is that the Lord may equip us and give us a sense of clarity as we study the book of Deuteronomy together.

Remember
The essence of the message can be summed up in two words: love and obedience. Throughout his message Moses urges his people to love the Lord with all their hearts, because love is the greatest motive for true obedience. Jesus said it well, “If you love me, you will obey what I command” (John 14:15). Obedience proves love. Love and obedience go hand in hand.

However, the Bible diagnoses our natural human nature in this way: there is no love for God in us. 1 John 4:10 says, “This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.” Our hearts and minds has to be supernaturally transformed in order to love God and obey his word. Then the next question is, “How can our minds be transformed?” “How can we be equipped to obey everything God commands?” 

In the Wilderness
The answer is the wilderness school. God often uses the wilderness to transform and equip us. In Deuteronomy 4:20 Moses says, “Remember that the LORD rescued you from the iron-smelting furnace of Egypt in order to make you his very own people and his special possession, which is what you are today” (NLT). In the wilderness we are born anew and transformed. In the wilderness we are equipped. In the wilderness we become the children of God, the people of God.

At first, with the mighty hand and outstretched arm God rescued Israel out of Egypt. And with God they crossed the Red Sea valiantly. Then they were taken to Mount Horeb, where they saw the glory of God and received God’s commandments. It was their mountain top experience. But then God said to them, “You have stayed long enough at this mountain” (1:6). Then they were led into the wilderness. On the way to Kadesh-Barnea the Israelites grumbled and even wanted to turn around and go back! At Kadesh-Barnea, the gateway into the Promised Land, they were rebellious. Ten leaders, out of the twelve, gave the people a bad report about the Promised Land because of their fear and unbelief. So God commanded them to journey back into the wilderness.

Wilderness Is Love
Our interest is to enter the Promised Land. The sooner, the better. But God’s interest is for us to become his holy people and to live worthy of our calling. From God’s perspective wilderness is love. Wilderness is a blessing. In Deuteronomy 2:7 Moses says, “Surely the LORD your God has blessed you in all your undertakings; he knows your going through this great wilderness. These forty years the LORD your God has been with you; you have lacked nothing.” Yes, God’s grace is enough. In the wilderness God shapes us, transforms us, equips us to become his holy people.

While I was in Korea this past Sunday, I attended my parents-in-law’s church service. They had just moved into a new place used to be the Buddhist temple. I realized that they had gone through a lot during the moving process. Even though my parents-in-law were always faithful and devoted to God’s work, they had faced many hardships and trials. And compared to all their labor, they seemed to bear little fruit. Then I had a chance to have some conversation with my mother-in-law. At the end of the conversation she said, “In my early years of ministry I was so stressed out and concerned about successful ministry. But as I go through this great wilderness, these thirty years, I have learned that church ministry is not the end. It’s just a means to equip me to become God’s holy people. So now I enjoy much more freedom and joy.”

Return to Essence
Wilderness is love. Wilderness is a blessing. Entering the Promised Land without the school of wilderness is not a blessing. Do you feel like you are walking through the wilderness? Meet God in the wilderness. Recollect, remember what God has done for you all those years in the wilderness, and be thankful!

I believe our church is also in the wilderness school. For all those years we have been through a lot. But the truth is: “God has been with us. And we have lacked nothing.” Recently, our church participated in “Discovering the Possibilities” study. And now, as a follow up we work with our coach. It’s not another program for the church growth. It’s our effort and endeavor to return to essence, return to basics, return to the early church – the word and prayer.

In the wilderness a map is no use, because the geography of the wilderness constantly changes because of the wind. What we need is a compass, or in today’s terms, GPS (“Global Positioning System”). It provides navigation via satellite, so that we can stay on track toward our destination. But in order to use our GPS, we need to have a strong signal. Spiritually it refers to the word and prayer. By hearing the word and doing the word, by listening to God and talking to God, we receive a sense of clarity and strength that we need.

Ebenezer, Jehovah-Jireh
Wherever he lived, missionary Hudson Taylor put up a plaque that read: “Ebenezer—Jehovah-Jireh.” These Hebrew words mean, “Up to this point the Lord has helped us—the LORD will see to it” (1 Sam. 7:12; Gen. 22:14).

On my plane flying back to the United States, I had mixed feelings – happiness, loneliness, gratitude, fear, worry, etc. I was grateful to see my parents and grandparents, but at the same time, I was worried and concerned about their failing health, my parents’ life after their retirement, our separation and upcoming deaths. In my distress I silently cried out to God. And I heard the Inner Voice saying, “Ebenezer. Remember that the Lord has been faithful. He who has helped you will take care of you.” Yesterday I visited Dellie and Georgia. Dellie was failing. In my sadness I prayed. And I heard the same voice, “The God of Ebenezer will take care of you.”

What we need today is to only trust God and stay the course in this wilderness school. Let us look back and remember what the Lord has done for us for all these years, and be thankful. Let us look ahead and trust God. He will provide. He will see to it. He will take care of us. Ebenezer, Jehovah-Jireh. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment