Monday, July 19, 2021

“Follow Me” (1 Corinthians 4:14-21)


Christian Character

May 16, 2021 is the day my grandfather passed away. During his funeral service, the pastor preached the word based on today’s scripture (v. 16) and 1 Corinthians 11:1: “Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ” (NKJV). After reading the scripture, the pastor said about my grandfather something like this, “I am not sure how many Christians are able to say it with confidence like Paul did. But I know pastor Whang is one of the few that could say that.” Indeed, my grandfather lived a life of "congruence" - congruence between preaching and living, congruence what is on the inside and what is lived on the outside. He was a good husband, a good father, a good pastor and most of all he was a good Christian. He is my hero I want to imitate.

 

There is one more person whose example I want to follow – my father. When I think about my dad, the first word that comes to my mind is “faithfulness.” He was always there for his family, he was always there for his church, he was always there for me. Surely he reflects God’s faithfulness through his life. Both my grandfather and my father are good preachers. But it was not only their preaching that helped me grow in faith, it was their Christian character that deeply touched me and shaped me.

 

When we think about the Apostle Paul, a great portion of his life was to simply persevere. He had to hang in there in prison for about five years during his ministry. He endured many hardships and sufferings. In today’s scripture Paul said he was ridiculed, hungry, thirsty, homeless. He was brutally treated like dirt (vv. 11-13). Paul was well aware that our spiritual battle is not much about aggressive attack but faithful defense. So he says to the Corinthians, “It is required of stewards that they be found faithful” (v. 2). And he continues, “I urge you, imitate me” (v. 16).

 

Corinthian Church

To have a better understanding of where Paul is coming from, it’s important to understand some of the Corinthian church background. Corinth was a Greek city and had many very intelligent citizens. It was a commercial seaport. It had its academics and the places where they discussed philosophy and tried to understand the problems of life and of living. Paul had been there and had preached the Gospel, and a church had been established. But then, Paul had to move on to preach the good news to the unreached in other places. In the meantime, certain people came in and started to criticize Paul and to challenge his apostleship. They were experts in Greek rhetoric, language, and philosophy. They said, “Paul’s presence is weak,” “His manner of speaking is not eloquent,” “His teaching is so simple and childish.” Paul’s answer to them is this: “I will come to you soon, if the Lord wills, and I will find out not the talk of these arrogant people but their power. For the kingdom of God depends not on talk but on power” (vv. 19-20)

 

Power

Christianity is a power! Where there is the kingdom of God, God’s reign, God’s rule, there is a power. When Paul says the kingdom of God is in power, he is speaking it from his own experience. On the way to Damascus he encountered the risen Christ, saying, “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? It hurts you to kick against the goads” (Acts 26:14). That day Paul experienced the power of God – power to bring a conviction of sin, power to open the eyes of his heart, power to give him new life and new heart. In today’s scripture Paul says, “When reviled, we bless; when persecuted, we endure; when slandered, we speak kindly” (v. 12b-13a). This is the power of God – power to overcome evil with good, power to face trials and tribulations in life, power to persevere. This power is the supernatural work of God. With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible!

 

William Temple used to illustrate the point in this way. It is no good giving me a play like Hamlet or King Lear, and telling me to write a new play just like it. Shakespeare could do it; I can’t. And it is no good showing me a life like the life of Jesus and telling me to live a life just like it. Jesus could do it; I can’t. But if the genius of Shakespeare could come and live inside me, I would then be able to write plays like he did. And if the Spirit of Jesus could come and live inside me, I would then be able to live a life like he did. Christianity is not about trying harder to become more like Jesus. But it is about allowing him, by the power of his Spirit, to come and change us from the inside. The kingdom of God is not a matter of mere talk, but it’s an empowered life.

 

 

Our Part

Although an empowered life is all God’s work, we must be sensitive and obedient to the promptings of the Holy Spirit. Let me share the story of Pyongyang Great Revival in Korea back in 1907. At that time, along with other missionaries, Pastor Gil Sun-Joo was a leader of the Korean church. In January 1907, new year’s prayer meeting was held. Although many people came for the meeting (1500), Pastor Gil felt like something hinders the work of God. He felt like the whole church was covered and suppressed. But he didn’t know what it was. He even rebuked his congregation to repent. But nothing happened. While he was praying, the Holy Spirit convicted of his unconfessed sin. In fact, he had promised his dying friend to look after his estate because his wife was unable to, but in the process he had taken one hundred dollars for himself. Thankfully, Pastor Gil obeyed the promptings of the Holy Spirit. In front of 1,500 people he confessed his sin of Achan. The next day he gave the money back. Then the revival began.  After that, the prayer turned to weeping. Missionary Graham Lee wrote: ‘Man after man would rise, confess his sins, break down and weep, and then throw himself to the floor and beat the floor with his fists in perfect agony of conviction.’ Another missionary Jonathan Goforth wrote: ‘Day after day the people assembled now and always it was manifest that the Refiner was in His temple’ Writing about Pastor Gil’s confession he wrote: “It hindered the Almighty God while it remained covered, and it glorified Him as soon as it was uncovered; and so with rare exceptions did all the confessions in Korea that year.” Soon Pyongyang became known as the “Jerusalem of the East.” 

 

The kingdom of God is a power – power to cleanse us, power to bring a conviction of sin, power to lead us to repentance, power to draw us closer to God. Have you had the similar experience that Pastor Gil had – convicted by the Holy Spirit? I do. When I came to the US in 2006, I had my own plan. It was to earn a doctoral degree as soon as possible and become a pastor of a large church. So it was very important for me to get good grades. I studied very hard and was able to earn good GPA. One day the Holy Spirit convicted my sin. He reminded me that I had submitted the reading reports of some of the classes not in good conscience. Although the reading report instruction says, “Skimming is not counted as reading,” I had just skimmed through part of the required readings in a hurry but checked them off as 100% completion. I had good grades. Not only that, I borrowed other people’s ideas and pretended that it was mine. But the Holy Spirit exposed all my sins – plagiarism, dishonesty, and ambition deep in my heart. I knew what was right thing to do. But I struggled for several days. I was afraid that I might be expelled from seminary. Then, I heard the voice saying, “I can use you without degree, but I cannot use you if you are not clean.” So finally, I confessed my sins before my professors, some of my friends and students, and my church family. Thankfully, I was not expelled. But the grades of the four classes were significantly reduced. And it became very difficult for me to pursue further study. But instead, God restored to me the joy of my salvation. I was able to see God once again.

 

Follow Me

The kingdom of God is not in talk but in power. Paul has known this power – power even to look into the face of death and to smile at it. He says to Timothy, his spiritual son, “I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing” (2 Timothy 4:6-8)

 

Have you known all this? Have you known the power to turn from darkness to light, from the kingdom of Satan to God? Have you known the power to give you blessed assurance and to cry out to God, “Abba Father”? Have you known the power to believe, to understand, to rejoice in His Word and to say, “I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes”? If you have, I don’t need to exhort you to praise God. If you have not, then go to Him, seek his face humbly and cry, “Have mercy on me a sinner.” “Seek the Lord while he may be found, call upon him while he is near” (Isa 55:6).

 

Now is the time. Today is the day of salvation. My prayer is that all of us in this room may believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ, know the power of God, be transformed and found faithful to the end, and that we may be able to say to our spiritual children at the end of our life, “See, I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith. Imitate me, and follow me.” Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment