Sunday, March 20, 2022

“Capernaum: The Healing Place” (Mark 2:1-12)

The Town of Jesus

When you visit Capernaum, the first thing that catches your eyes would be the statue of homeless Jesus [photo] at the gate of the town of Capernaum. In fact, Jesus grew up in the town called Nazareth, about 25 miles away from Capernaum. But Jesus was rejected by the townspeople in Nazareth. They said, “We’ve known him since he was a kid; he’s the carpenter’s son. We know his mother, Mary. We know his brothers James and Joseph, Simon and Judas. All his sisters live here. Who does he think he is?” (Matt 13:55-56, MSG) And they took offense at him. After this, Jesus left his hometown and made his way toward a town called Capernaum. Since then, Jesus called Capernaum his home (cf. Mark 2:1). He adopted Capernaum as his new hometown. Capernaum became a strategic point for his ministry. Five of the disciples (Peter, Andrew, John, James, and Matthew) were from there.  He performed more miracles (especially healing) there (twelve of them) than anywhere else in the Gospels.

 

The root of the word healing in New Testament Greek, is sozo, and it’s the same as that of “salvation” (soteria). When Jesus was here on earth, he brought his salvation through his three ministries: teaching, preaching, and healing. Matthew 4:23 says, “Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people.” So healing ministry was such an important part of Jesus’ ministry. It was a “sign” that did point toward the ultimate healing, salvation, that comes from Jesus the Savior.

 

Capernaum Synagogue    

The first healing story in Capernaum is written in Mark 1:21-27. After calling his first disciples, with them Jesus went to the synagogue. [photo] The original synagogue building in Jesus’ time was built by a Roman centurion based there (Luke 7:5). But that building was destroyed later (probably by Romans), and what we see today is the remains of the 4th-century synagogue. On the Sabbath day Jesus spent time teaching in the synagogue at Capernaum. Suddenly, he was interrupted by a man who was possessed by an unclean spirit and screaming. Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be silent, and come out of him!” At this, the evil spirit shrieked, and then came out of him.  

 

The term “demon possession” refers to the condition when a person is under direct demonic influence physically, emotionally, mentally, and psychologically.[1] We find various symptoms of demon possession in the Bible.  On one occasion people brought to Jesus a demon-possessed man who was mute. When the demon had been cast out, the mute man spoke (Matt 9:32-33). On another occasion a demon-possessed man was mute and blind, and Jesus healed him, so that the man spoke and saw (12:22-23). On another occasion, Jesus met a demon-possessed man who was living among the tombs, breaking chains, yelling and harming himself (Mark 5:1-20). In this case, demonic influence brought psychological or psychiatric disorder, social isolation, self-harm, and excessive strength. We find various symptoms of demon possession in the Bible, but there is one thing in common. Jesus is able to bring healing and deliverance from them all.

 

Demons in the 21st century seem to be more rare and subtle, but still real. There are still people who are subject to demonic influence or oppression. Sometimes it’s hard to tell whether someone has simply mental illness, psychological disorder, epilepsy, or someone is under demonic influence. God’s healing ministry never detracts from the gifts he gives through medicine and psychotherapy. Rather, it adds to our total resources for wholeness. If you or your loved ones struggle with addiction, substance abuse, negative impulses, suicidal thoughts, depression, or self-harm, I exhort you to pray this way every day, along with taking medicine and proper care: “Jesus, I commit my life to you. Watch over me, and help me with your mighty hands. Demon, I belong to Jesus, and he is more powerful than you. I command you, in the name of Jesus, to leave!” In the name of Jesus we are set free.

 

Peter’s Home

After Jesus left the synagogue, he entered the house of Simon Peter (Mark 1:29). [photo] The remains of the building here are Peter’s family house. Peter and his wife opened their house to their family, and to their Christian families. Jesus lived there with them, as well as Peter’s mother-in-law, and his brother, Andrew. Later, Peter’s house became an early house church.

 

When Jesus entered Peter’s house, Peter’s mother-in-law was sick in bed with a fever. The family told Jesus. He went to her, took her hand, and raised her up. Then the fever left her, and she prepared a meal for Jesus and the family. The healing touch of Jesus. Jesus often touched gently and lovingly those who ask for healing. One day a man with leprosy approached Jesus and knelt before him. "Lord," the man said, "if you are willing, you can heal me and make me clean." Jesus reached out and touched him. "I am willing," he said. "Be healed!" And immediately he was healed (Matt 8:2-3). Another time, a woman who had suffered from a discharge of blood for twelve years approached Jesus and touched his garment, thinking, “If I only touch his garment, I will be healed.” Later, Jesus reveals that this healing comes through her faith in him, not the magic of his cloak (Matt 9:22). The Bible says, “Are any among you sick? They should call for the elders of the church and have them pray over them, anointing them with oil in the name of the Lord” (James 5:14). The early church traditions, such as laying on of hands, anointing with oil, all show the power of touch. This practice is a tangible expression of the presence of the healing Christ. Jesus works in and through those who minister in his name by faith.

 

Capernaum House Church

I shared earlier that Peter’s home became a house church. Many scholars believe that the story found in Mark 2, healing of a paralyzed man, took place at Peter’s house. Based on excavations, Peter’s home was a small place. If it had only one level, the home was approximately 625 square feet. When Jesus taught in the house, so many gathered. There was no room left, not even outside the door. Jesus was preaching the word. Some people brought a paralyzed man, carried by four friends. But they couldn’t get in because of the crowd, so they carried their friend up to the roof, which was made of thatch and mud. They dug a hole through the roof and lowered the man on his mat. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, “Son, your sins are forgiven.” Jesus could say, “Son, be healed.” But Jesus knew, for this particular man, the heart of the problem was not just physical, but spiritual. Though we don’t know details, perhaps this man was overwhelmed with guilt over something he had done in the past. For years he was paralyzed emotionally and spiritually as well as physically. So first, Jesus had to set him free from his guilt, saying, “Son, your sins are forgiven.” Then, he said, “Take up your mat and walk.”

 

Paul once had the same problem. He thought the problem was in his body. So three times he pleaded with the Lord to take it away from him. But the problem was his heart. So Lord Jesus healed his heart, saying, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness” (2 Cor 12:8). Physical healing didn’t come. He still had a thorn in his flesh. But now Paul rejoices and considers it the gift from God. While I was in seminary, still discerning my calling, I was depressed – mainly because of my preaching. Unlike my grandfather, who was charismatic, forceful, winsome in his preaching, I was nervous and inarticulate. So I was considering quitting ministry. But more than three times God said to me the same message through different people: “You are called to preach. You already have an anointing from me.” Even after this, externally nothing changed. I am still slow of speech and inarticulate. But my heart is healed. So I preach boldly and joyfully today.

 

Called to Be a Stretcher-Bearer

There is another important lesson we can learn from today’s scripture. Verse 5 says that Jesus healed the man, because of his friends’ faith. Who are the people who would pick you up, tear off the roof, and lower you to Jesus? We need stretcher-bearers. I still remember when I was in third grade, I almost lost my hearing in my right ear because of a middle-ear infection. I prayed for a while, then I gave up. But my grandfather never gave up. He prayed, prayed, prayed for more than three years. One day he called me on the phone with great excitement and said, “My prayers have been answered. You are healed.” I didn’t know what to say. After this, all of sudden, I realized I was able to hear when someone talked me from the right side. My grandfather was my stretcher-bearer.

 

Not only do we need stretcher-bearers, but also we are called to be stretcher-bearers. Yesterday evening I got a text from one of my friends, asking how I was doing. He and I haven’t talked to each other for more than two years. But after small talk, I learned that he has serious kidney disease, receiving dialysis three times a week. He said, “Well, if I don’t get a kidney transplant, my life is cut dramatically.” He also went through a divorce recently. He has been estranged from his family, especially his father. He is a skeptic. But it was a God’s timing. He was contemplative, searching, listening. I shared the good news with him, and at the end I prayed for his spiritual healing. He promised that he would read the Gospels and pray to God. After this, I could feel how much God loves him and wants to heal him.

 

It’s amazing when we think about 80-90 percent of Jesus’ ministry took place in the region of Galilee – approximately 25 miles radius. But his ministry to a particular people and place was a ministry to the world. His ministry for a particular corner of the world changed the whole world. Jesus started with one person next to him, so should we. We can reach out to one person, love that person, bring that person to Jesus. Jesus still forgives sins. Jesus still heals our bodies and our hearts. Jesus still sets people free. Let us come to Jesus and be healed. Let us be stretcher-bearers for our neighbors – one person at a time.

 



[1] Thomas Sappington, “Demon Possession,” The Gospel Coalition, https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/essay/demon-possession/

No comments:

Post a Comment