Sunday, December 25, 2022

“Jesus, Immanuel” (Matthew 1:18-25)

The Gospel in a Nutshell

On one day in September last year, about a week after Lydia recovered from COVID-19, she was not feeling well. She had a migraine, double-vision, vomiting and delirious. She went to ER at the local hospital, then was sent to Bangor that night. As soon as she got there, they took her for all different kinds of tests. But they couldn’t figure out exactly what the cause was. It was a scary night. Joyce and I could feel her pain. We could feel her agony. We wish we could take her place. But all we could do was to be with her.

In Exodus 3:7-8, when the Israelites groaned under their slavery and cried out, the Lord said, “I have surely seen the affliction of my people… I have heard their cry… I know their suffering, and I have come down to deliver them from the power of the Egyptians…” And God did send Moses to deliver his people. But Moses was a just shadow of the true and better Messiah to come. When the right time came, God sent his Son… to set us free from our sins and to give us new life. On this Christmas Eve, we affirm that Christ is “Immanuel” – God with us. Christ is the God whom we can know, feel, and touch. He is God with skin.

I like the way Dick Foth explains the gospel in three sentences: “God came to our place. God took our place. And then God invites us back to his place.”

God Coming to Us

He came to our place, in order to be with us. For parents and grandparents, Christmas season can be stressful. Many of us are thinking about what would be the best gift for our children and grandchildren. But the greatest gift we can give our children is the present of presence. For me personally, my greatest hero is my grandfather. When I was in Korea, I used to live close by him. Probably it would take about half an hour by car. Even after I was grown up and went to college, I often dropped by my grandfather’s place, particularly when I felt down and depressed. At that time, he was a retired pastor, but he was still quite busy. But always, he made himself available to me. He shared his life stories with me. He attentively listened to my stories. We had a meal together. We watched TV together. We took a nap together. I didn’t always open up and share my struggles and problems. But after spending time with him, I always felt much better and uplifted. He gave me the present of presence. That’s what Jesus did to us. The greatest gift God gives us is the present of presence. Immanuel, God-with-us!

God for Us

God came to our place. But not only that, he also took our place. 2 Corinthians 5:21 says, “God made Christ, who never sinned, to be sin for us, so that we could be made right with God” In other words, Jesus became our sin, so we could be his righteousness. He became our darkness, so we could have the light of life. He became our curse, so we could be his blessing.  The prophet Isaiah describes Jesus as the Lamb of God who takes our place this way (53:3-6, MSG):

He was looked down on and passed over,
    a man who suffered, who knew pain firsthand.
One look at him and people turned away.
    We looked down on him, thought he was scum.
But the fact is, it was our pains he carried—
    our disfigurements, all the things wrong with us.
We thought he brought it on himself,
    that God was punishing him for his own failures.
But it was our sins that did that to him,
    that ripped and tore and crushed himour sins!
He took the punishment, and that made us whole.
    Through his bruises we get healed.
We’re all like sheep who’ve wandered off and gotten lost.
    We’ve all done our own thing, gone our own way.
And God has piled all our sins, everything we’ve done wrong,
    on him, on him.

He took our place.

God with Us

But there is more! He invites us back to his place. Years ago I did a cross country trip from Vancouver to Quebec with four other friends. So many good places. But for me personally, my favorite place was Rock Mountains, Banff and Jasper, particularly Lake Louise. It was truly breath-taking, to say the least – the sight of the emerald green water and rugged peaks and glaciers. I will always remember that feeling. It was a perfect day. But now as I look back, one thing was missing. “I wish Joyce was here.” One of my bucket lists is to take her back there, so we can experience it together.

That is why God became “Immanuel,” not only to be with us here in our place on earth, but also to invite us back to his place and to live with us forever! As we read Revelation 21-22, we see his place, the new heaven and the new earth. It is just beyond description in our human language. God wants to spend eternity there with you. The Apostle John by the Spirit says this way: “Look, God's home is now among his people! He will live with us, and we will be his people. God himself will be with us. He will wipe every tear from our eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain.” (NLT). He came to our place. He took our place. Then he invites us back to his place.

Experiencing Immanuel

Do you experience this Immanuel? A.W. Tozer said that “Most Christians are theological Christians… They’re trying to be happy without a sense of the presence.” In other words, many people intellectually agree that Jesus is Immanuel. And they want to live a life with God – life filled with love, power, joy. But they don’t experience it. They don’t experience God’s presence. Why?

Here’s what many Christians tend to do: when we receive Christ, we invite him to be our guest, special guest at best, but not our Master. We are still in control of our lives, making decisions according to our experience, our preferences, our knowledge, our plans. We drive the car, and Jesus is in the passenger’s seat. Even though he is the best driver and is with us all the time, our life is still constantly in conflict, confusion, and stress. And there is a constant danger of accidents. The best way to handle this situation is to get out of the driver’s seat and let him drive. Where is Jesus in your life? Is Jesus in the driver’s seat in your life? May Christ Jesus dwell in your hearts as Lord of all! May Christ be made much of in and through your life! “I have been crucified with Christ, and I no longer live. But Christ lives in me! The life I live in the body I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me!” (Gal 2:20). Amen. 




No comments:

Post a Comment