Monday, May 13, 2024

“Generation to Generation” (2 Timothy 1:1-7)

My Mother
As we get older, the image of our mother changes accordingly. When we are 4 years old, we think, “My mommy can do anything and knows everything!” When we turn 12 years old, we come to the realization, “My mother doesn’t really know quite everything.” When we turn 18 years old, we say, “She is old-fashioned. She’s way out of date!” When we turn 25, we begin to think, “Well, she might know a little bit about it.” When we turn 40, we say, “Before we decide, let’s get mom’s opinion.” When we turn 50, we say, “Wonder what mom would have thought about it.” When we turn 70 years old, we say, “Wish I could talk it over with mom once more!”

For me personally, I learned the most important things in life from my mother. In fact, she is the one who shaped my spiritual formation. It was my mother who showed me and taught me how to put God first in everyday life. I learned from my mother I can honor God by keeping the Sabbath holy. Sunday was always a day of praying (worship) and playing (family time). I learned from my mother I can honor God by giving the tithe and offerings (ex. special seasons, special occasions, etc.). So when I got my first job, I couldn’t wait to give my first fruit offering. I also learned from my mother I can honor God by being honest. One day I told a lie to my parents. I forgot exactly what it was, but it was a big lie. My father was upset and was about to give me the cane on the calves. So I hid behind my mother. And I thought, ‘Now I am safe.’ Do you know what happened next? My mother got the cane instead of me. She volunteered, and my father gave her the cane. I was shocked. That day I learned that telling a lie is terribly wrong.

Timothy’s Mother and Grandmother
In today’s scripture Paul mentions Timothy’s mother and grandmother. He recognizes the faithfulness of these two women, Eunice and Lois, who raised Timothy with such a godly faith. In verse 5, Paul says, “I am reminded of your (Timothy’s) sincere faith, a faith that lived first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, lives in you.” Timothy’s mother, Eunice, got married to a Greek man (Acts 16:1), but she raised her son with Christian discipline and instruction. Later, Timothy joined Paul in his missionary journeys (Rom 16:21) and eventually became the pastor of the church at Ephesus (1 Tim 1:3). Paul now honors these two women of faith. We often hear personal testimonies that include statements such as “My mom (or grandma) took me to church, taught me Bible stories, and prayed for me every day.” Moms and grandmas, be encouraged. All your hard work and tears for your children (grandchildren) are not in vain.

The Motherly Love of God
Some of us are fortunate to have godly mothers like Timothy. But some of us are not. But the good news is all of us have the same God, who loves us with the perfect motherly love.

Israel’s Exodus story is a perfect example. God delivered his children out of Egypt with a powerful hand and outstretched arm. God departed the Red Sea and made a way into the desert. God protected them and guided them with the pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night. God fed them with Manna and quails. Not only that but also God gave them the Ten Commandments as the way of life, so that they might live an abundant life and glorify their God. We too honor God by worshiping him and using his name properly. We honor God by keeping the Sabbath holy. We honor God by respecting our parents. We honor God by being faithful to our spouse. We honor God by protecting our neighbor’s lives, respecting their property, and telling them the truth in love.

The Way of Life
In his book These are the generations, Eric Foley, Co-Founder of Voice of the Martyrs Korea, shares with us the story of three generations of the Bae family who have faithfully kept their faith in North Korea for more than half a century in the midst of brutal oppression and persecution. The first generation, grandparents, did have profound knowledge about the Bible. But, for the second and third generations, everything they heard and knew was the Ten Commandments because of severe persecution. All the Bibles were burnt down. And they were under observation 24/7. But, they have kept their faith. The Ten Commandments taught them who God is and who they are. The Ten Commandments taught the Bae family their need for a Savior and led them to Christ. So now they keep the Ten Commandments to honor God with all their hearts. Every Sunday, they would gather secretly and memorize the Ten Commandments, and repent according to them. No church exists in North Korea. There is no place or pastor they can offer their tithe to. But the family has always been tithing by using it to help others. They pay for medication for the poor, buy rice and grocery for the hungry. What they learned from the Ten Commandments became their way of life. “Love God and love others” is the way.

Back to Basics
When we become a church member, one of the questions we answer is as follows:

As a member of this congregation, will you faithfully participate in its ministries by your prayers, your presence, your gifts, your service, and your witness?

We say, “I will.” This covenant is not just for a new church member, but for every single member of the church – for you and me for all the days of our lives.

Brothers and sisters in Christ, we are going through a challenging time as a church. How can we face the giant? There is no magic wand or easy answer. Think about David! Saul gave his armor and sword, but it was no use. David couldn’t walk with these. Instead, he took his staff in his hand and carefully chose five smooth stones from the stream for his sling to fight against the giant. So how can we face the giant? I believe we can overcome our giant with what we are, what we have, and what we have learned from our mothers. We can defeat our giants with “five spiritual smooth stones”:

  1. To keep the Sabbath holy by worshiping regularly.
  2. To continue to grow in faith by participating in small groups and church fellowship gatherings.
  3. To serve God with our hands, by volunteering to serve the congregation, community, and world.
  4. To give in proportion to our income for God’s kingdom work. (Tithing and beyond it.)
  5. To share our faith in Jesus Christ with others, through word and deed.
This is my prayer and pastoral vision for Christ’s Church: to build a community of deeply committed Christians. Mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers in Christ, it’s time to go back to basics and put it into practice. God did not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of self-discipline (v. 7). On this Mother’s Day, may we remember our mothers, who nurtured us and cared for us. May we honor and give thanks to our motherly God. God will be with us and keep watch over us from this time on and forever. Thanks be to God!

No comments:

Post a Comment