Sunday, September 14, 2014

“From Jacob to Israel” (Gen 32:22-32)



“From Jacob to Israel” (Gen 32:22-32)
- I Will Change Your Name II -

“Somebody,” “Nobody,” and “God’s Body”
D.L. Moody gives a powerful synopsis of Moses’ life in just one sentence. As you know, Moses was raised in Pharaoh’s court, but after he killed the Egyptian, Moses had to flee Egypt. It was only after many more years that God called Moses to lead the Israelites out of Egypt. Here’s What Moody said about Moses:

Moses spent his first forty years thinking he was “somebody.” He spent his second forty years learning he was “nobody.” He spent his third forty years discovering “what God can do with a nobody.”

Not only does this life synopsis apply to Moses, but also it does apply equally to all other biblical characters and all of us in this room. Last week we learned how God changed Abram into Abraham and why it was important. This morning we will explore the second name change story in the Bible, that is, the story of how God changed Jacob- the deceiver, into Israel- the man of God.

From “Somebody” to “Nobody”
In every life there comes a time when it must be “alone” – alone only with God. Genesis 32:24 says “So Jacob was left alone…” Jacob was now facing the greatest challenge of his life. His relationship with his uncle Laban had been broken after 20 years, and now his older brother Esau was already on his way to meet him with his four hundred men. Jacob was surrounded on every side by troubles. But, we must remember it is God who allowed Jacob to go through those trials and tribulations. In Gen 31:3 the Lord said to Jacob, “Go back to the land of your fathers and to your relatives, and I will be with you.” So Jacob followed God’s instruction, but on the way back home he fell in trouble. He had to face Esau. Then, we may ask, “Why does a loving God allow trials in our lives?” When God allows trials in our lives, there is a clear message in it. The message is, “Come to me! Seek my face! Cry out to me!” Our trials and tribulations are God’s megaphone and Heaven’s loudspeaker. But it is our choice whether we properly respond to God’s calling or not. God gives every person a chance to respond. Jacob’s brother Esau made a bad choice. He showed contempt for his rights as the firstborn and has turn to his own way. In times of trouble he had never come to the Lord. Jacob was the same. There was nothing good in him. But there was one difference between the two. Jacob believed in God and his promises. So in times of trouble he chose to come to the Lord and to pour out his heart before him. Jacob wrestled with God until receiving God’s blessings. In Psalm 50:15, the Lord says, “Call upon me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you will honor me.” Are you facing the challenge of your life? Choose to come to the Lord and pour out your heart like water before him, and he will answer you and deliver you!

On Being a “Nobody”
As we read today’s scripture, the following question can be raised. When Jacob came to the Lord and cried out to him, why did God wrestle with Jacob, instead of delivering him out of trouble? Why did God wrestle with Jacob and cripple him before blessing him? It is because God must cripple self-sufficient Jacob in order to bless him. Jacob was a self-sufficient person. He was a self-confident person. He was very skilled, diplomatic and crafty. He deceived his older brother Esau twice in order to take his birthright from him. At Laban’s house Jacob and Laban deceived each other, and finally Jacob has gained all wealth from his uncle. He had always had a good result when he helped himself, but here at the Jabbok River Jacob was helpless. God had to wrestle with Jacob because he wanted Jacob to realize how weak he was before God. God had to cripple Jacob’s self-sufficiency, that Jacob might know he was nobody before God. God’s best blessings can come only after we find who we are in God. A friend of mine used to work for AA (Alcoholics Anonymous). I was impressed by how they introduced themselves. In the meeting there are several different people who are in the different stages of addiction. Some are serious, and others are not. But every member must introduce themselves in the same way: “Hello, everyone. My name is Victor, and I am an alcoholic.” There is no exception. Even though I quit drinking a long time ago, still I have to introduce myself. “My name is Victor, and I am an alcoholic.” The first step to breaking away from addiction is to confess, “I am addicted.” In the same way, the first step to being delivered from trials and receiving God’s blessings is to confess, “Lord, I am weak. I am nobody.”  

As I was mediating on today’s Scripture, one incident came to my mind. When I was in Korea, I used to serve the young adult group as a student president. At the time, the young adult group was spiritually stagnant. Most of them were not interested in spiritual meetings or worship service. I was passionate and wanted to freshen up the atmosphere. I shared my vision with the members. It was “12/120/300/3000.” The point was, “Now we have only 12 members, but we will have 120 disciples, then 300 prayer warriors, and then we will lead 3000 young adults to Christ!” It was a beautiful vision statement. I was pleased with myself. I had good feedback from the members, and even it seemed biblical. I was self-confident. But, the thing is that that vision was not from God. It was from my own passion and ambition. I started various programs, activities, and campaigns. But, as time went by, I became more and more resentful and frustrated. I said to myself, “Why must I do all this by myself?” “Why don’t the members recognize me and follow me?” As a result, when I finished my service term, that vision came to nothing. The young adult group did not experience transformation at all, and I got spiritually bankrupt. It was a painful but necessary experience. It was my Jobbok River. I found who I was. I was nobody.

From “Nobody” to “God’s body”
But the story does not end here. God gave Jacob a new name, “Israel,” which means “God fights.” It can be translated into several ways. But in essence, the Lord was saying that Jacob would have victory because God would fight for him. Jacob has always lived as a blessing-catcher. He has always lived to please God and to receive his blessings with his own strength. But in fact, God already decided to bless Jacob even before he was born. In Gen 25:23 the Lord said to Rebekah, “Two nations are in your womb, and two peoples from within you will be separated; one people will be stronger than the other, and the older will serve the younger." Jacob was blessed from the beginning, and he didn’t need to use his physical strength or craftiness to receive God’s blessings. At the Jabbok River Jacob found that the greatest blessing was not to be delivered from trials and tribulations. The greatest blessing was to meet God face to face in the midst of it. It was to experience the Immanuel God who accompanied him from the beginning, who sustained him, and who gave him perseverance and strength to face the challenge of his life. So he called the place “Peniel,” which means, “face of God.” Jacob still had his problems. Esau was still on the way to meet him. But, Jacob became a different person. He became God’s body. And now he was able to meet Esau, because he met the God of Immanuel face to face.

From “Jabbok” to “Peniel”
One of my old friends had a very hard time during her college years. She was surrounded by financial issue, relationship problem, and so on. One summer she had a change to attend a retreat for the young adult group. After the evening service, there was a time for private prayer. At first, she complained to God, but later she poured out her heart in the presence of God. Then, she saw a vision. Jesus was standing right in front of her, stretching out his hands to her. She held Jesus’ hands and said, “Jesus, where have you been when I was in trouble?” Jesus said to her, “My daughter, I have been waiting, opening my arms to you, for twenty years.”

Are you facing challenges? Are you facing Esau? Before Jacob met Esau he needed first to meet God. Before we face and solve our problems we need first to meet God face to face. The word “Jabbok” means “to wrestle.” Do you have any challenges that you wrestle with? If so, come to the Lord. Pour out your heart like water in his presence. Wrestle with him. Then, God will change your “Jabbok,” the place of agony, into “Peniel,” the meeting place with God face to face! Remember Jacob. You are already blessed from the beginning, and God is with you always. You will get through today’s challenge! Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment