Sunday, September 28, 2014

“From Simon to Peter” (John 1:35-42)



“From Simon to Peter” (John 1:35-42)
- I Will Change Your Name IV –
Who Is Simon Peter?
In many people’s hearts Billy Graham takes a special place. He is a man of God, man of integrity. His wife, Ruth Graham, was once asked whether, as a Christian, she did ever think about divorce. She said, “No, I’ve never thought of divorce in all these 35 years of marriage,” but she said, “I did think of murder a few times.” I think she gave a witty and insightful answer. Normally, we tend to think spiritual giants in the Bible and church history must be different from the beginning. But in fact, to begin with, they were just common men and women. But, God called each of them out of weakness and walked along with them to the end, gloriously completing what he had begun (Rom 8:30). This morning we will explore the life of Simon Peter, how God transformed a man of inconsistency into the man who is solid and steady like a rock.

We see so much of ourselves in Peter. Peter was a common man. He is full of inconstancies. He struggles between faith and doubt, between the higher and the lower nature, between the carnal man and the spiritual man. At one time Peter was the first to boldly get out of the boat and walk on water, but in a few second, he was terrified by the strong wind and sank. Peter was the first to confess the divine nature of Jesus. He boldly said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” But, in a few minutes, he rebuked Jesus when Jesus began to explain that he must suffer and die. Peter was the first to draw a sword to defend his Master, but within a few hours, he denied his Lord three times.

Peter is not always like this. As you know, in the New Testament there are two letters written by Peter. They were written about thirty years after these earlier events of his life. In the letters Peter is solid and steady like a rock. He is no longer easily moved. He does not fluctuate. Even in the midst of severe persecution he stands firm and takes up his positions and writes the messages of encouragement to his fellow believers. In 1 Peter 4:12-13, he says, “Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.” Simon Peter has matured. He is no longer a man of many moods. Peter is the conqueror of inconsistency.

The “Love” of Christ
So what happened to Peter? It certainly was not an accident. There are two important factors transforming Peter’s life – one is love and the other is power. First of all, the love of Christ touched Peter’s heart and made him whole. Jesus always found the potentially good things in Peter and encouraged him. It was the first time they met each other when Andrew brought Simon Peter to meet Jesus. As soon as Jesus saw Peter, the first thing he said was this: “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which means “Peter”; the names Cephas (from Aramaic) and Peter (from Greek) both mean “rock.”) Jesus was saying, “Simon, you are a man of inconsistency now, but I know you will be a man like a rock!” When Jesus had the last supper with his disciples, he knew within a few hours all of the disciples would abandon him, including Peter. But Jesus prayed for Peter and gave him a mission. Jesus said, “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers" (Luke 22:31-32). Jesus was still saying, “Simon, you will be a man like a rock.” After the resurrection Peter goes back to his old life. But Jesus comes to him and asks the same question three times, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” When Peter says, “Yes,” Jesus reinstates Peter and says. “When you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go” (John 21:18). Jesus is saying, “Simon, you will be a man like a rock. You will live for me. You will die for me.” The love of Christ compels Peter, and eventually he becomes a man like a rock!

I find myself in Peter’s story. I began to sense God’s call to ministry when I was a senior in college. But I was hesitant to answer his call mainly because of two things – one is slow of speech, and the other is lack of sociability. I always thought pastors must be an eloquent speaker and sociable person. But I was and I am not that kind of person. I used to be nervous and be rambling even before my parents when I shared my testimony during a family devotional time. By nature, I am a quiet person. I found it difficult to make friends and always felt like an outsider. But Christ’s love was compelling. So I answered his call. But even after that, I still felt unqualified. While I was in seminary, I preached twice a week. Although I worked hard for sermon preparation, most of the time I felt dissatisfied with myself. One week I messed up the message. I was seriously considering quitting the preaching ministry. I was so discouraged. One afternoon my wife and I were taking a walk on seminary campus, and we met one couple on the way. I knew of them, but I didn’t know them personally. The couple approached us, and his wife said to me, “I don’t know you well. But, I think I have to tell this. Usually, I don’t dream while sleeping. But, the other day I dreamt. In my dream God showed you and told me about you. He said, “He is little, but he is my mighty warrior.” That was great encouragement. I was able to stand up again. You may feel unqualified. You may be dissatisfied with where you are and who you are. But today God says to each one of us in this room, “You are Peter,” “You will lead many to Christ and strengthen the church,” “You will live for me and die for me!” Christ’s love transforms us.

The “Power” of the Holy Spirit
The second phase of Peter’s transformation came at Pentecost. This meant “power.” On the day of Pentecost the disciples were all filled with the Holy Spirit. They became different persons. Look Peter after Pentecost! He was scared to death to acknowledge Jesus in front of people, but now in the midst of a mocking mob he stands up and speaks out with boldness. He says, “Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ." Then he continues, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” After this, Peter is arrested, and the Jewish leaders give threats to him. But he says to them, “Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's sight to obey you rather than God. For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.Pentecost completed Peter’s transformation.

Tim Hansel, Christian writer, once met his old friend for the first time in 10 years. He was very impressed by how his friend was wonderfully changed. She was a Christian 10 years ago, but now she was something different. She was filled with joy and confidence. So Tim couldn’t help asking, “Can you tell me what happened?” And she answered, “Sure, in the past every time I repeated my sins, I cursed myself and was tormented by guilt. But, while I was reading the Epistle to the Romans, I realized the truth that I am a sinner, and there is nothing good in me. From that moment, whenever I committed a sin, I just confessed my weakness and kept going. But, there is more! I realized that if I do something good, it is not from me, but from the Holy Spirit within me. And now I live for the joy of watching how the Holy Spirit works in my life.” Tim concluded as follows, “My friend has changed not from bad to good, but from good to wonderful Christian. She was a moral Christian before, but now she is a contagious Christian on fire.”

Designed for Conquest
We can’t change our hearts. No one can change our hearts, but only God can do it by his love and by his power. The road of transformation is a life-long journey. The other day I felt skeptical about working as a pastor. What made me discouraged the most was my chronic weakness. I expected that once I started a ministry God might take away my weakness. But it didn’t happen. I find it is always there with me. That morning I received a Rhema word from God. It was 2 Corinthians 12:9. I found there was at least one more person who felt the same way. It was Paul. He begged God to take away his weakness three times, but God said to him, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” God’s power works best, not “in spite of” our weakness, but “in” our weakness. Max Lucado defines God’s grace in these words, "Grace is simply another word for God's tumbling, rumbling reservoir of strength and protection. It comes at us not occasionally or miserly but constantly and aggressively, wave upon wave.” God’s grace is like an ocean wave which constantly crashes against the beach. No sooner does one wave crash into the sand than another appears. Then another, then another. Before we finish saying, “Lord, I fell again,” the huge wave of God’s love sweeps into us. Before we finish saying, “Lord, I am weak. I am unqualified,” another massive wave of God’s power just sweeps over us. Are you struggling between faith and doubt, between ups and downs? Then, remember Simon Peter. The One who began a good work in Peter and brought it to a glorious finish is here with us today. So let us come to him and remain in his love. Let us constantly ask God to fill us with the Holy Spirit. Even at this very moment God is shaping us, and in his time he will make us whole! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment