Sunday, February 21, 2016

“One Thing” (Psalm 27:1-14) - 2nd Sunday in Lent -

F.E.A.R.
As you read the lessons for this second week of Lent, you may find that all four Scriptures revolve around one theme, “Fear.” Abram is afraid that he may die without issue. David, the psalmist, is facing danger and fear from his enemies. Paul is suffering in prison and doesn’t know what happens next – released or executed. Jesus is warned by the Pharisees that Herod wants to kill him. Today’s lessons are like an omnibus film. Each story tells us how they overcome fear. It gives us the powerful antidote for fear. It was hard for me to choose one particular passage to preach. So I decided to do all of them. I would like to start with Psalm 27 because this prayer resonates with my own story.

Facing Fear (Psalm 27:1-14)
In August 2010 I went on a mission trip to China with the church members. One of the members was pregnant at that time. She was a very talented professional vocalist. The mission trip schedule was heavy, and we had to move a long distance each day. One night the pregnant woman discharged blood heavily and had several other symptoms of miscarriage. One member said, “My wife had exactly the same symptoms like this, and finally she had a miscarriage. So we have to prepare for the worst.” As I heard this, I was paralyzed by fear. The word, “miscarriage” was ringing in my ears all night. I was preoccupied with “what ifs” and worst-case scenarios. The next early morning I went to a quiet place to pray and have my devotional time. The passage of the day was Psalm 27. God did speak to my heart through David’s prayer: “The Lord is my light and my salvation – whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life – of whom shall I be afraid? ... I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord!” As soon as I read this passage, I knew that God would make the baby alive and keep both the mother and the baby safe from all harms and dangers. Immediately, I wrote down this prayer and gave it to the baby’s mother before she went to the hospital that day. All the members prayed fervently and waited patiently for the Lord. And we did see God’s glory. Both the mother and the baby were ok. Her testimony inspired both Chinese churches and our mission team.

Psalm 27 is a prayer in the day of trouble (v.5). We can easily assume that David is pressed on every side by troubles based on the following words used in the prayer: evildoers, foes, enemies, an army, and battle. He doesn’t deny the fears of life; instead, he is acutely aware of them. But in the midst of fear, he declares, “I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living!” Then, he declares to his frightened soul: “Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord!” Probably, David prayed this prayer not just once, but every time he had to face the fears of life. Psalm 27 is the prayer of anyone who feels besieged by life – by illness, conflict at home or work, stress, or depression, and so on. Fear is not something that we must get rid of, but it is something that we must master. How may it be mastered?

Courage: Let Me Be on Your Side! (Luke 13:31-35)
First, fear is mastered through courage. Courage comes from a right relationship with God. In Luke 13 when Jesus receives a death threat from King Herod, he says, “Nevertheless, I must go on my way today and tomorrow and the day following, for it cannot be that a prophet should perish away from Jerusalem.” Here Jesus is confident that he is on the right path of God. That is why he is able to be bold like a lion. Proverbs 28:1 says, “The wicked flee when no one pursues, but the righteous are bold as a lion.” When fear knocks at the door, the first thing we must do is to honestly ask ourselves this question: “Am I right with God?” During the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln was asked if God was on his side. “Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side,” said the President, “my greatest concern is to be on God’s side, for God is always right.” While Nehemiah is building the wall of Jerusalem, he meets with strong opposition from the enemies. One of them is from false prophets. One day prophet Shemaiah says to Nehemiah, “Let us meet inside the temple, and let us close the temple doors. Your enemies are coming to kill you tonight.” But Nehemiah says, “Should a man like me go into a temple to save his life and to violate God’s law? No, I will not go in!” Later, it turns out that Shemaiah was not sent from God, but hired by the enemies to intimidate Nehemiah and make him sin. Then they would be able to accuse and discredit him. But for Nehemiah, to stand on God’s way is more important than to save his life. Nehemiah masters fear through courage which comes from the confidence that he is on the path of God. In order to overcome our fears, our prayer should begin with getting right with God. In the midst of fear David prays, “One thing I ask of the Lord. This is what I seek. Let me dwell in your house. Let me be where you are. Let me get right with you!” (cf. Ps. 27:4). Are you right with God?

Faith: Open My Eyes! (Philippians 3:17-4:1)
Second, fear is mastered through faith. In Philippians 3 Paul’s current circumstances are not that encouraging: His life itself is unpredictable. He might face execution at anytime. The church he planted with tears and prayers is now falling apart. False teachers are leading the saints astray. Some of them are already backsliding. But Paul is rejoicing and says to the Philippi Christians, “So you too should be glad and rejoice with me!” (2:18) And he encourages them with love, “My brothers and sisters, whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm thus in the Lord, my beloved!” (4:1) In the midst of fear, danger and hopelessness, how could he do that? The answer is because God opened his eyes to see beyond his current circumstances. In Philippians 3:20, Paul says, “But our citizenship is in heaven.” Yes, Paul was afraid when his eyes were closed – he was a powerless prisoner facing execution by the Roman Empire. But when his eyes are open, everything changes – he is a glorious citizen of heaven who will share Master’s joy. In 2 Kings 6 Elisha is surrounded by the Aramean troops at night. Elisha’s servant is terrified and says, “Oh, my lord, what shall we do?” Elisha says, “Don’t be afraid. Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.” And he prays, “O Lord, open his eyes so he may see.” Then the servant looks up and sees the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha. The Bible says, “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen” (Heb 11:1, ESV). When we live by sight, we are afraid; when we live by faith, we can master fear. So when fear comes, let us pray, “Lord, open my eyes to see what you see.”

Thanksgiving: God Will Take Care of You! (Genesis 15:1-18)
Third, fear is mastered through thanksgiving. In Genesis 15 the very first words God says to Abram is this: “Don’t be afraid.” Why? In chapter 14 Abram was miraculously able to defeat the joined forces and rescue Lot. But now, he is afraid because Abram and his men are few, and the troops are many. They may come and retaliate at anytime. But God says to him, “Don’t be afraid. I am your shield.” Abram is also afraid that he may die without issue. But God says to him, “Don’t be afraid. I am your great reward. Your offspring will be as numerous as the stars.” Then, God tells him to get a cow, a goat, a ram, a dove and a pigeon. Abram cuts them in two and arranges the halves opposite each other. This seems strange to us, but in Abram’s day this is the way a covenant is signed. Each covenant-maker would pass between the halves of the animals. It is a vivid graphic way of those entering a covenant saying: “If I break this agreement, may I be cut up and cut off: I will deserve to die just like these animals did.” What’s astonishing in the covenant between God and Abram is that Abraham never walks between the halves! The only thing that passes through is “a smoking firepot with a blazing torch,” that is God Himself (vv.17-18). Here God is saying to Abram, “See, I will make this happen for my name! I will take care of you!” Abram believes the Lord. As the years have unfolded, this promise of God has come back again and again to give light and peace to his troubled soul, “God will take care of you.” And Abram praises God and thanks him.

Every time I feel pressed on every side by troubles, I go back to the Red Sea. As Pharaoh and his troops approach, the Israelites are terrified and grumble against God and Moses. Moses says to them, “Don’t be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which he will accomplish for you today” (Exo 14:13, NKJV). I think I shared this poem before, but it’s worth repeating:

When you are surrounded on every side by troubles,
In front of you is the Red sea,
Behind you are the Egyptians,
On one side is a range of craggy rocks,
On the other side are forts of Egypt,
Then, begin to praise God and thank him,
Because now is the time that God will work for you. 

What are you afraid of? In times of trouble let us follow the examples of our spiritual ancestors: “Lord, let me get right with you!” “Lord, open my eyes so I may see!” “Lord, I trust you. I thank you because you will take care of me!”


No comments:

Post a Comment