Sunday, March 26, 2017

“Thomas: Don’t Stop Until You Meet Jesus” (John 14:1-7) - God’s Story Our Story III -


God of My Ancestors to My God
Have you ever felt like talking to a brick wall when you prayed? I do. I was born into a pastor’s family and grew up in the church all the time. But when I was in my senior year in high school, I felt like there was no point to practice religion. When I prayed, I felt like talking to a wall. When I read the Bible, I felt like reading fairy tales. I was not sure whether God is really alive and cares about me. I had so many questions. One day I shared my struggle with my mother. She gently listened to me and shared her story how she met Jesus. She was also born into a pastor’s family and grew up in the church. After she got married to my father, she had to live with her parents for a while because my dad had to fulfill his military duty. At that time, my grandfather’s church was experiencing revival and spiritual awakening. But at the same time, Satan’s counter attack was also severe. There was slandering, gossiping, and sabotage. One day my mother was alone in the parsonage, and one church member came in a drunken stupor. Cursing and swearing, he was violent. After this, she was so upset, so angry with him. But God gave my mother compassion and burden to pray for that person. Reluctantly, she began to pray. As she was praying, God showed her a vision. In the vision, at first she saw that man’s ugly face, but then as she began to pray, the man’s face was turned into Jesus’ smiling face. That was the moment my mother met Jesus. After hearing her story, I thought, “Ok. Right now I don’t feel God. But because the person I love and respect most says so, I guess I will keep searching!” So I did keep on going, keep seeking. And finally, I met my God, my Jesus.

Quo Vadis?
In today’s passage we meet Thomas. He is often called, “doubting” Thomas. He had many questions. He had the spirit of inquiry. He wanted to know how and why. He had been with Jesus and known him for about three years. But still Thomas just knew Jesus from a human point of view (cf. 2 Co 5:16). He didn’t know who Jesus really is. He didn’t know why Jesus must suffer and die. He didn’t know why Jesus had to leave him and the other disciples. So he asked Jesus, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” (v. 5) Jesus replied, “I AM the way.” He didn’t say, “I will show the way.” The answer to Thomas’ inquiry was the person of Christ.

There are times when we feel lost and our hearts are troubled. There are times when we are not sure whether we are on the right track. So we ask Jesus, “Lord, what is your will in this situation? I don’t know the way. Which way should I take? Show me the way!” But Jesus says to us, “You already know the way (v. 4), for I am the way. Believe in me. Trust me. Just stay close to me.” In the wilderness what we need is not a map, but a compass because the territory constantly changes. In the wilderness of life what we need to complete our journey is not religion, but the person, Jesus Christ – the way, the truth, and the life. When we meet this Jesus, we change from inside out permanently.

According to a Christian tradition (the apocryphal Acts of Peter), Peter is fleeing from likely crucifixion at the hands of the Roman government. And along the road outside the city he meets the risen Jesus. In the Latin translation, Peter asks Jesus “Quo vadis?” which means, “Where are you going?” Jesus replies, “I am going to Rome to be crucified again.” Peter thereby regains the courage to continue his ministry and returns to the city and dies a martyr by being crucified upside-down. Jesus is always with us. But the question is, “Am I with Jesus?” “Am I following him closely?” “Do I know him personally?” If we have Jesus, if we know Jesus, we don’t need to worry about the way or the destination.

The Holy Spirit, God with Us
We know God best through Jesus. Then, how can we know and experience Jesus best? Through the Holy Spirit! Jesus’ disciples had privilege to dine with him, talk with him, work with him. How about us? Actually, we have the same privilege just as they had! Through the Holy Spirit, we can know and commune with Jesus 24/7. Jesus said to the disciples, “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever!” (John 14:16) He also said, “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you” (v. 26). The Holy Spirit is the Helper (ESV, NASB, NKJV), the Counselor (NIV), the Advocate (NRSV), the Comforter (KJV), and the Friend (MSG). How can we describe this beautiful relationship between the Holy Spirit and us? As I was pondering about this, the story of Dick and Rick Hoyt came to my mind. Rick was born with an umbilical cord around his neck. He was born with cerebral palsy. He is unable to walk or talk. At age 15, he asked his father if he could run in a race to support a friend. Dick agreed to push Rick in his wheelchair and they finished all 5 miles together. That night, Rick told his father, “Dad, when I’m running, it feels like I’m not handicapped.” Since that first race, they have competed in multiple marathons and triathlons.[1] Now we will watch their brief moving clip together. [Moving Clip]

Neither Dick or Rick are ready to retire yet. For me personally, as I hear and watch their story, I see myself in Rick, the Holy Spirit in his father, Dick. We don’t know what to say, what to pray, but the Spirit himself intercedes for with groaning too deep for words (Romans 8:26). Although we may know what is right, we don’t have power to do it. But the Holy Spirit empowers us to live a victorious life in Jesus Christ (Romans 7:15-8:2). He dwells with us and within us (John 14:17). And the amazing thing is that not only does he push us in our wheelchair and keep us going, but also he makes us rise and walk – walk with him, run with him!

By God’s grace Thomas kept seeking until he met Jesus. Since Thomas met the person Jesus, and especially since he was filled with the Holy Spirit, he stopped wandering and questing the way. Instead, he was willing to suffer and die for his faith. According to tradition, Thomas preached the good news in India and was martyred there. Have you met Jesus? Do you walk with the Holy Spirit? Why don’t we express the desire of our hearts with the following prayer:

Jesus, I need you and I want to know you personally.
Thank you for dying on the cross for my sin.
I now invite Christ to again take His place 
on the throne of my life.
Fill me with the Holy Spirit!
Please empower me and direct my life.
Help me be the kind of person you want me to be!
I pray this in Jesus’ name, Amen.



[1] Team Hoyt, http://www.teamhoyt.com/About-Team-Hoyt.html

No comments:

Post a Comment