Sunday, April 2, 2017

“Peter: Are You His Disciple?” (John 18:15-18, 25-27) - God’s Story, Our Story IV -


Les Miserables and Gospel Story
The story of Jean Valjean in Les Miserables is a great example of the gospel story. The main character, Jean Valjean, is a convict without hope. Sentenced to a 19 year term of hard labor for the crime of stealing bread, Jean Valjean gradually hardened into a tough convict... At last he earned his release. But, no innkeeper would let a dangerous felon spend the night. For four days he wandered the village roads, seeking shelter against the weather, until finally a kindly bishop had mercy on him. That night, Jean Valjean rose from bed, stole valuables, and crept off into the darkness. The next morning three policemen knocked on the bishop's door with Valjean in tow. They had caught the convict with the stolen silver and were ready to put him in chains for life. But the bishop said to the policemen, “This silver was my gift to him.” Then, he said to Valjean, “I'm delighted to see you. Had you forgotten that I gave you the candlesticks as well?” Valjean was no thief, the bishop assured the police. Jean Valjean experiences undeserved grace from the bishop, and it transforms his life forever. He becomes a hero, a man who adopts and loves and cares for a young girl who loses her mother. For me personally, particularly I love how the author Victor Hugo describes the bishop's gracious acceptance of Jean Valjean when they first met that night. The bishop said, "You need not tell me who you are. This is not my house, it is the house of Christ. It does not ask any comer whether he has a name, but whether he has an affliction. You are suffering, you are hungry and thirsty; be welcome... What need have I to know your name? Besides, before you told me, I knew it... your name is brother."

My Name Is Simon Peter
In today’s passage we meet Simon Peter. We see so much of ourselves in Peter. Peter was a common man. He is full of inconsistencies. He struggles between faith and doubt, between the carnal man and the spiritual man. At one time Peter was the first to boldly get out of the boat and walk on water, but in a few seconds, he was terrified by the strong wind and sank. Peter was the first to confess the divine nature of Jesus. He boldly said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” But, in a few minutes, he rebuked Jesus when Jesus began to explain that he must suffer and die. Peter was the first to draw a sword to defend his Master, but within a few hours, he denied his Lord three times. Peter is not always like this. As we know, in the New Testament there are two letters written by Peter. They were written about thirty years after these earlier events of his life. In the letters Peter is solid and steady like a rock. He is no longer easily moved. He does not fluctuate. Even in the midst of severe persecution he stands firm and takes up his positions and writes the messages of encouragement to his fellow believers. Simon Peter has matured. He is no longer a man of many moods. Peter is the conqueror of inconsistency.

Love: “You Will Be Called Peter!”
So what happened to Peter? It certainly was not an accident. There are two things that changes Peter’s life forever – one is love and the other is power. First of all, the love of Christ transformed Peter’s heart. When Jesus met Simon Peter for the first time, he said to him, “You are Simon son of John. You will be called Cephas” (which means “Peter”; Peter means “rock”; John 1:42). Here Jesus was saying, “Simon, you are a man of inconsistency now, but I know you will be a man like a rock!” When Jesus had the last supper with his disciples, he knew within a few hours all of the disciples would abandon him, including Peter. But Jesus prayed for Peter and gave him a mission. Jesus said, “Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned back, strengthen your brothers" (Luke 22:31-32). Again Jesus was saying, “Simon, you will be a man like a rock.” After the resurrection Peter goes back to his old life. But Jesus comes to him and asks the same question three times, “Simon, son of John, do you love me?” Jesus reinstates Peter and says. “… When you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go” (John 21:18b). Jesus is saying, “Simon, you will be a man like a rock. You will live for me. You will die for me.” The love of Christ transforms Peter, and eventually he has become a man like a rock indeed!

Power: “You Will Receive Power!”
The second phase of Peter’s transformation came at Pentecost. This meant “power.” On the day of Pentecost the disciples were all filled with the Holy Spirit. They became different persons. Look Peter after Pentecost! How different he is! He was scared to death to acknowledge Jesus in front of people, but now in the midst of a mocking mob he stands up and speaks out with boldness. He proclaims, “Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ." Then he continues, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” After this, Peter is arrested, and the Jewish leaders give threats to him. But he says to them, “Judge for yourselves whether it is right in God's sight to obey you rather than God. For we cannot help speaking about what we have seen and heard.” Pentecost completed Peter’s transformation.

Tim Hansel, Christian writer, once met his old friend for the first time in 10 years. He was very impressed by how his friend was wonderfully changed. She was still a Christian 10 years ago, but now she was something different. She was filled with joy and confidence. So Tim couldn’t help asking, “Can you tell me what happened?” And she answered, “Sure, in the past every time I fell, I cursed myself and was tormented by guilt. But, as I was reading the Epistle to the Romans, I realized the truth that I am a sinner, and there is nothing good in me. From that moment, every time I fell, I just confessed my weakness and kept going. But, there is more! I realized that if I do something good, it is not from me, but from the Holy Spirit within me. And now I live for the joy of watching how the Holy Spirit is at work in my life.” Tim concludes as follows, “My friend has changed not from bad to good, but from good to great. She was a moral person before, but now she is a contagious Christian on fire.”

Simon to Peter
In Mark 14:54, shortly after Jesus’ arrest, we read that Peter followed Jesus “at a distance.” Before he experienced undeserved grace and forgiveness at the seashore of Galilee, before he was filled with the Holy Spirit, he was able to follow Jesus at a distance. But persecution came because of Jesus, Peter quickly fell away. Without experiencing the love and power of Christ, we are able to follow Jesus “at a distance” with our own strength and wisdom. But when trouble or suffering comes because of the word, we quickly fall away. We need the love of Christ. We need the power of the Holy Spirit. We need God’s grace. Max Lucado defines God’s grace in this way: "Grace is simply another word for God's tumbling, rumbling reservoir of strength and protection. It comes at us not occasionally or miserly but constantly and aggressively, wave upon wave.” God’s grace is like an ocean wave which constantly crashes against the beach. Before we finish saying, “Lord, I fell again,” the huge wave of God’s love sweeps into us. Before we finish saying, “Lord, I am weak. I am unqualified,” another massive wave of God’s power just sweeps over us.

Are you struggling between faith and doubt, between ups and downs? Then, remember Simon Peter. The One who changed Simon’s name to Peter is here with us today. As I close, I want to share RJ Butler’s hymn I Will Change Your Name:

I will change your name
You shall no longer be called
Wounded, Outcast, Lonely or afraid

I will change your name
Your new name shall be
Confidence, Joyfulness, Overcoming One
Faithfulness, Friend of God, One who seeks my face.

Confidence, Joyfulness, Overcoming One
Faithfulness, Friend of God, One who seeks my face!



No comments:

Post a Comment