Monday, May 13, 2019

“Why Pray?” (Romans 12:1-2) - Back to Basics II –


The Power of Prayer
It’s Mother’s Day. On this special day we honor our mothers and also give thanks to all our spiritual mothers, who have loved us, mentored us, nurturing our hearts and souls. For me personally, one of my spiritual mothers (fathers) is my grandfather, who is now 93 years old, retired pastor. This past week I had a chance to have a video call with him. The first thing he said was, “Victor, I pray for you, your wife, and your children every single day, because I love you all.” And I know and believe that he does pray for me everyday. In fact, it was he who helped me to come to the faith. It was he who helped me to believe the power of prayer. I still vividly remember how I lost my hearing in my right ear because of serious ear infections when I was 8 years old. Doctors recommended me to have a surgery, but my family couldn’t afford it. I took some medication, but it didn’t help. Many people prayed for me. In particular, my grandfather had persistently prayed for me. About four years later, I got a phone call from him. He said with great excitement, “Victor, God answered my prayer! You are healed!!” At that time, I didn’t feel any difference. But a few days later, all of sudden I realized that I was able to hear from both of my ears.

That healing experience did draw me closer to God, and made me curious about God, and about my grandfather’s faith. Even at that young age, I knew he was the real deal. And I knew prayer was at the heart of his life. He prayed before starting his day. He prayed before preparing the message. He prayed before making decisions. He prayed before meeting difficult people. I don’t remember what he preached on Sundays, but I do still remember how he lived between Sundays – how he treated his family and others. Indeed, he lived a transformed life through prayer.

Several weeks ago, as we studied Revelation 8, I shared that the primary purpose of prayer is not to change the circumstances or to get the response we want. The primary purpose of prayer is to change us.  Prayer changes us, so that we may become more like Christ. That’s the ultimate purpose of prayer. (cf. Sunday Message, Feb 19, 2019). Today’s message is the sequel. The second purpose of prayer is to change us, so that we may become agents of change. For transformed people transform people – particularly our family, our children.

Why Transformation?
When we think about what kind of world we are living in today, we come to realize that transformation of the heart is necessary. We (and our children) live in a busy, noisy, distracting world. Jesus said to Nicodemus, “You must be born again (converted, transformed) to see the kingdom of God in this world” (cf. John 3:3). In today’s passage Paul says to Roman Christians and us, “You must be transformed to know God’s will in this world.”  

Eugene Peterson says that Christians are like a “harpooner.”
In Herman Melville's Moby Dick, there is a turbulent scene. All the sailors in a whaleboat are laboring fiercely, every muscle taut, all attention and energy concentrated on the task, in pursuit of the great, white whale, Moby Dick. In this boat, however, there is one man who does nothing. He doesn't hold an oar; he doesn't perspire; he doesn't shout. This man is the harpooner, quiet and poised, waiting. And then this sentence:

"To insure the greatest efficiency in the dart, the harpooners of this world must start to their feet out of idleness, and not out of toil."[1]

We, Christians, are called to live a life as a harpooner, who fights and overcomes the white whale, symbol of evil, in this world. But too often we are distracted and exhausted in the midst of our busy, noisy life. And we are not ready and accurate when it is time to throw our javelin. Then, how can we be quiet and poised harpooners in the midst of turmoil? How can we not be conformed to this world, but be transformed? The answer is prayer.

Transforming Prayer
In Psalm 46 we meet the psalmist, who is a harpooner – quiet and poised, waiting – in his turbulent times. He says:

God is our refuge and strength,
a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear,
though the earth shake in the heart of the sea;
though its water roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble with its tumult.

He has “though” faith. He sees God deeply through his pain and suffering. Then, at the end of the psalm he hears God saying: “Be still, and know that I am God!” We see and hear God in stillness, not out of toil. Prayer shapes us. Prayer shapes us to be quiet and poised harpooners in this busy, noisy world.

Many of us already know we need prayer. We have desire to pray. But still, we need to learn how to pray. To be more precise, we need to discipline ourselves in prayer, in order to have a meaningful, transforming prayer time. In this respect, Paul says, “So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing. I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what it should” (1 Corinthians 9:26-27, NLT). Prayer is a discipline. Any of us can try to run a marathon. But soon enough, we come to realize that we cannot run a marathon, even if we tray really, really hard. When it comes to running a marathon, we must train, not merely try. In the same way, when it comes to transforming prayer, we must train, not merely try here and there. John Ortberg right said, “Spiritual transformation is not a matter of trying harder, but of training wisely.”

The first step for transforming prayer is planning. We ought to plan. We ought to cultivate the habit of prayer by keeping to a fixed time every day. Some people say that we don’t need a specific time and place to pray or that we can find God all the time and everywhere. But in this matter, E. Stanley Jones rightly said, “If you are to find God all the time, you must find God some time. And if you are to find God everywhere, you will have to find God somewhere.” I love my wife, Joyce, and I know she loves me. We are always together. And we can talk anytime whenever we want. But still, we must find some special quality time to cultivate and deepen our relationship on a regular basis. In the same way, we need to find a special time and place to pray daily to nurture our relationship with God. For me personally, I spend the first two hours of the day in prayer, from 4:30 to 6:30 am. During these two hours I enjoy a quality time with God without interruption. E. M. Bounds says, “If God is not first in our thoughts and efforts in the morning, He will be last during the remainder of the day… No one receives God who does not follow hard after Him, and no soul follows hard after God who is not after Him in the early morning.”[2] Here the point is not simply early rising and early praying. The point is the intense desire to seek after God. The point is the intense desire to give God the best of our time, the heart of our time and strength. As we discipline ourselves in prayer in this way, we will begin to see prayer shape us, transform us.

How Author John Dickson Came to the Faith[3]
The Australian Christian author John Dickson came to Christ through the faithful witness of an ordinary mother named Glenda. In Australia, the public schools used to offer a Scripture class taught by a volunteer from the local church, and Glenda became his teacher. Eventually, Glenda invited the whole class to her house on Friday afternoons for lunch and honest conversation about Jesus. She treated them like they were family. Dickson was one of the students. One night they hung out, and Dickson’s friend, Daniel, was rather intoxicated. They couldn’t take him to his house because of his angry dad. So they decided to take him to Glenda’s house around midnight. She didn’t bat an eye. She welcomed them in. Dickson writes:

We took Daniel to Glenda's house because she had left a real impression on us that Christians actually like sinners. We had no doubt that she hated our drinking habits. She was a teetotaler, and talked openly about avoiding alcohol. But even in that situation, her first instinct was not to condemn us but to love us more, and it was extraordinary… After about six months of Scripture classes, Friday afternoon events, and the incident with Daniel, we found ourselves thinking that Jesus was real, that he is inescapable, that he is powerful. So about six or eight months into it, about five of us became Christians—we really surrendered to Christ's lordship and accepted his mercy.

Years later, John Dickson started his own ministry. And he visited Glenda to ask her what her secret was – how to reach out new people so effectively. Without batting an eye, Glenda said, "Prayer." He was really disappointed, but she continued, "That year a bunch of us who taught Scripture decided to make it a year of prayer—just to plead the Lord of the harvest to do something special. And we did. By the end of the year, there you all were, confessing Jesus."

Generation to Generation
We all have our Glendas – our spiritual mothers, who prayed for us, loved us unconditionally, nurtured us so faithfully. For me personally, along with my grandparents and my parents, I always remember my 3rd and 8th grade Sunday school teachers. How they treated me, how they showed me Jesus through their lives, how they taught me the Bible, I am eternally grateful to them. On this Mother’s Day let us remember our spiritual mothers and express our deep gratitude to them: “Thank you!”

And now it’s our turn to leave a legacy. The best legacy we can give to our next generation is to live a transformed life through prayer. It is to show Jesus through our lives, through how we treat other people as ourselves, how we use our possessions, time, resources in a godly way. And our children will remember us and turn to God, glorifying His holy name. Amen.




[1] Eugene Peterson, The Contemplative Pastor: Returning to the Art of Spiritual Direction (Eerdmans Publshing, 1989), Kindle Locations 221-225.
[2] E. M. Bounds, Power through Prayer (Whitakerhouse, 1082),
[3] “The Power of Prayer: How Author John Dickson Came to the Faith,” Preaching Today, https://www.preachingtoday.com/illustrations/2012/january/2012312.html

No comments:

Post a Comment